No Device Selected

Report and discuss bugs here!
ML6985

No Device Selected

Post by ML6985 »

After running for awhile either a few hours, a day, or a few days I get this message on the preview and website along with a black screen. I am using the FTP mode for still picture uploads every minute. I have set all USB hubs to disable the power management feature and under power management itself set everything to always on. I am running WINXP SP3 with 1 Gig of memory. This webcam is all this machine is being used for and the only USB device connected. I am using the latest webcam drivers and windows is all up to date along with Java and all other software including DirectX. I really need some help figuring this one out and any help would be appreciated.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Does re-selecting the webcam fix the issue?
what version of Yawcam are you running? Beta 2011-03-05, right?
Is there any messages on the console?
ML6985

No Device Selected

Post by ML6985 »

Yes I am using the Beta version, previously using 0.35 but still had same problem. As far as re-selecting the camera goes this works sometimes, most times I have to restart the program. There are no messages in the console windows that are out of the ordinary. The last one always reads "FTP service started". When the "No device selected" appears everything seems to be running normally. It continues to upload the black screen with the "No device selected" message although the font size is all messed up. When I disable the FTP upload it uploads the offline image as usual and is as normal. There is no pattern to this it can happen anytime. The camera always indicates it's connected in windows and never has dropped.
Wack2K

No Device Selected

Post by Wack2K »

I followed the instructions from a different post to disable power management for USB hubs, but I am still having the same exact problem - the camera disconnects randomly and I get the No Device Selected screen.

The error only started after I upgraded to 0.3.5. There has to be a bug in the FTP uploader or software that causes Yawcam to lose its connection to the camera. I use Yawcam to ftp still images every minute to my website and also create a file of the image every minute to create a time-lapse movie.

Please help.

Snarfblat

no device selected

Post by Snarfblat »

I've been plagued by the same problems. I've got mine hooked up to a mini digital cam via firewire. It used to run flawlessly. With the latest version and the previous version, however, i get the black screen of death with the message "no device selected" at random intervals. Selecting the camera device does not work. I end up having to restart the program again. I've done all the steps as the original poster here has to no avail.
Snarfblat

Post by Snarfblat »

Update.

There seems to be a connection between my browser and the disconnection.

Just prior to posting my initial message to this forum, I ran yawcam and left it running with no other applications opened/running in the background. Within ten minutes after starting the program, I experience the disconnect error.

I then opened my web browser and posted my own experience here. I left my browser open and restarted yawcam, got the camera working and then walked away for 1.5 hours with no disconnect problems. When I returned to my laptop, I closed the browser, leaving yawcam running in the background. I then left my laptop for a few minutes. Within moments after closing the browser, my cam disconnected.

Thinking that it may be related to my browser, I shut down yawcam, opened my browser and then restarted yawcam. I then left my laptop alone for the next three+ hours. Yawcam performed flawlessly during that period without fail.
howardk

No Device Selected

Post by howardk »

I am seeing the same problem. I was using Yawcam most of last year and let streaming run 24/7 and .jpg snapshots every 6 seconds during daylight hours and it was fine. That computer died in the fall and I finally replaced it about 2 months ago. I downloaded the latest version of Yawcam and I am seeing the same disconnect error with version 3.6. I have Yawcam installed as a service and no other applications are running other than my virus software (TrendMicro). I am running WIN7 Home Ulitmate.

Caveat - Yawcam worked fine for a few weeks, then I started seeing the error. I don't remember for certain, but I think have probably done an upgrade to the software since I originally installed two months ago. If that's the case then I probably had installed 3.5 and it worked OK and the bug was introduced with 3.6.

I would be glad to go back to 3.5 to confirm if I can get a copy.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

You can get older versions here: http://www.yawcam.com/dist/
Snarfblat

Post by Snarfblat »

Update:

Been running my yawcam with an open browser in the background since my last post and it has never disconnected once.
howardk

Problem solved?

Post by howardk »

I re-installed 3.5 nearly 2 weeks ago and it has been running 24/7 with no problems.
TimGlover

Saw a similar problem when I went to 0.3.6

Post by TimGlover »

Ran fine on XPSP3 running 0.3.3 but when I went to 0.3.6 recently, as soon as I accessed the http:80 image from another computer on my network (via public IP from No-IP) the webcam device was lost. Re-selecting the device caused YAW to pack up and disappear - windows closed and gone from the task manager list. Going back to 0.3.3 fixed everything (except the nag at startup to update).
hswaters

Post by hswaters »

I am using 3.6 and I get the same problem. I am using the scheduler so that I do not ftp any data at night. But when it starts to upload again in the morning I find the black screen and no device selected message.
TimGlover

Now 0.3.3 doing it too

Post by TimGlover »

Just in the last two days 0.3.3 is doing it too. No intentional changes, just started black-screening on two separate machines.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

TimGlover, what version of Java are you using?
TimGlover

Post by TimGlover »

Z3r...:

1.6.0_26 BUT things have now gone back to normal (on version 0.3.3) after I applied MS Tuesday's patches.

So maybe false alarm.