File to disk saves multiple identical images

Report and discuss bugs here!
Helge

File to disk saves multiple identical images

Post by Helge »

I do not know if this is a bug or another kind of problem... but here is what happens:

Have been using FTP upload (every 10 minutes) for years and it works fine (no "multiple identical images").

A week ago we had several days with beautiful sunsets/evenings and I wanted to take a shot at making a TimeLapse 8)
...so I entered settings - file and an image to be saved to local disk every 30 seconds with "I want to include the date and time in the file name". What happened was that Yawcam stores ONE image every 30 second as it should but as many as 5 images after one another turns out to be exactly the same image. This happens time after time during the day I enabled file save. First I was not 100 % sure the images were identical... but then came the ferry... and it does not remain exactly (and I mean exactly) at the same spot unless it is by the dock - and it was not. This was 5 images with half a minute in between showing the ferry in exactly the same spot on its way to port for unloading cars. Checking more images thoroughly I can see that Yawcam stores identical images MANY times a day instead of only storing new updated images.

Yawcam Version 0.4.1 built: 2013-04-18
What might be wrong and what can I hopefully do with that? :?
z3r0c00l12

Re: File to disk saves multiple identical images

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I think the webcam might be disconnected between every picture and it doesn't have time to reconnect the camera before it takes it's picture. You can try to keep the camera connected by enabling the stream option.

If the stream keeps the camera connected, when it takes the picture every 30 seconds, the picture should be good.
Ramsay

Post by Ramsay »

I use Yawcam to take snapshots at 2 second intervals 24/7 (approx. 30,000 images/1.2 GB per day) and have had many issues with Yawcam and the latest Java 7 updates. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP is not similarly effected.

Once I reverted to jre-7u13 both Yawcam_0.3.8 and Yawcam_0.4.1 work well 24/7 with the exception that changing the default PS3Eye 75 fps to say 10 fps isn't retained between sessions/reboots (but that may be a camera issue rather than Yawcam limitation).

As neither computer is used for web browsing, running an outdated java version isn't an issue if brings reliability. To disable the java auto-update under Windows 7 I needed to run the java control panel applet

C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe

using "Run as administrator".

I don't use video streaming, etc. and haven't tested jre-7u45 so YMMV.

Code: Select all

jre-7u25 u40 Yawcam 0.4.1 symptoms
-----------------------------------

closes after 3-7 days of running
saved picture might freeze and not update with the preview window
saved picture might be black and preview normal
preview picture might be black
Yawam often closes unexpectedly when changing PS3Eye Properties/Format
PS3Eye Format isn't retained between Yawcam sessions or a after a reboot (Device properties are).

Once I reverted to jre-7u13 both Yawcam_0.3.8 and Yawcam_0.4.1 work well 24/7 with the exception that changing the default PS3Eye 75 fps to say 10 fps isn't retained between sessions/reboots.

Tested
Win 7 Pro x86
jre-7u13
jre-7u25
jre-7u40
Yawcam_0.3.8
Yawcam_0.4.1
CL-Eye-Driver-5.3.0.0341

Computers
Dell Dimension, P4 @ 3.06GHz, 1.5 GB RAM
Dell Inspiron 1300, Pentium M @ 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Images older than 60 days are purged weekly using task scheduler and "Cyber-D's Autodelete".
Days of interest are converted to 20 minute .avi's for review using "ImagesToVideo" v3.
Yawcam 0.3.8 saves empty 0Kb image files with jre-7u25 and u40 so isn't usable.
leosoon

Post by leosoon »

file and an image to be saved to local disk every 30 seconds with "I want to include the date and time in the file name". What happened was that Yawcam stores ONE image every 30 second as it should but as many as 5 images after one another turns out to be exactly the same image. This happens time after time during the day I enabled file save.