Freeze on shutdown and javaw.exe problem

Report and discuss bugs here!
g22c

Freeze on shutdown and javaw.exe problem

Post by g22c »

Hi... I wasn't sure where exactly to post this question / problem, so I figured I'd just do it here (moderators, please feel free to move this to the appropriate page if necessary).

Ok, here goes... I've been running the latest release of Yawcam for about two weeks with no apparent problems. However, during the last several days I've been experiencing several extremely frustrating problems, which I will try to be as brief and descriptive about...

1) There are times when I am editing my Yawcam settings, the preview window will completely freeze, or turn completely black.

2) When that happens, I attempt to shut down Yawcam, but this also freezes. I'll then do a ctrl+alt+delete to end Yawcam, which does indeed shut down the windows... however, I still see the "javaw.exe" process still running in the Task Manager list of active processes.

3) In relation to that... when attempting to end the "javaw.exe" process, nothing happens. I cannot even shut down or restart my computer in the proper way (I literally need to hold the power button on my PC down to shut the system off). I had to do this about 7 times today while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

As earlier stated, my Yawcam software was running fairly well and I never had a problem at all with the "javaw.exe" file / process. My XP system is up to date, has more than enough RAM to run this and many other applications, and has been scanned numerous times in being free of any possible virus / adware infections.
I've properly deleted and re-installed the software in case any of its files may have been previously corrupted... but, the problem still exists. This only seems to be happening when I attempt to use the Yawcam software. It's frustrating... I'm at a total loss. Help? :(
g22c

Post by g22c »

Okay... I just noticed something odd. In ways I don't think it's the Yawcam software itself causing my freezing problems? As a test, I downloaded another webcam client ("Fwink"), and came across a similar problem.

What ties BOTH problems between Yawcam and Fwink is.... whenever I go into the preferences and attempt to edit the "image properties" (adjust gain, white balance, sharpness, auto-adjust, etc.), that is *exactly* when the freeze would occur in both webcam softwares.

I guess the frustrating question is... where do I even begin to locate the actual source of this problem that seems to be occuring in two completely different webcam softwares? I can't think of any system settings on my PC that would / could have such a negative effect as this? Any ideas or possible solutions? :cry:
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your webcam. It sounds like it could be some problem with the drivers.
Which webcam are you using?

By the way. Which webcam settings are you accessing in Yawcam when you get the problems? Is it the settings in "Settigns -> Device (X) -> Device properties..."?

/malun
g22c

Post by g22c »

Malun... thank you for the quick reply. I woke up this morning with the same idea of doing a re-install of my webcam drivers. It's the only thing I could think of that relates to a common problem occuring in BOTH Yawcam and Fwink softwares.

And yes... the problem seems to only occur when I access / edit anything via "Settings / Device (Logitech Quickcam Messenger) / Device Properties..."

I'll do a webcam driver reinstallation now, and report back with my results...
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

The dialogs that are accessed by "Settings -> Device (X) -> Device properties..." are in fact all handled by the webcam's driver. Yawcam only open the native driver settings there.

I hope the driver re-installation does the trick.

/malun
g22c

Post by g22c »

Hi again... yes, just as we both suspected, a driver reinstallation seems to have fixed the freezing problem. I'm not sure how the drivers became corrupted in the first place, but all seems to be running well for the moment.

Thank you again for your quick replies and suggestions. I love Yawcam! :D
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Nice to hear :D

/malun