Motion detection algorithm issue/bug

Report and discuss bugs here!
veselin4

Motion detection algorithm issue/bug

Post by veselin4 »

First I was thinking it was a Java interpretation issue, very delayed response from detection to trigger. I read aroud the forum but the only thing I found was this http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768
So I played around with "Motion detectin"window->"Settings"->"Variations"->"Interval" and I got it to a value that was quite responsive, that's when i found the issue in the algorithm.

When the motion goes above the threshold/"Tolerance" it triggers the selected "Action" ...(I set "Play Sound" and picked my own shorter-than-the-default .wav file to make sure it doesnt have blank at the end which may in some cases delay the next play)... but then on next comparison if the motion is still above the threshold the algorithm won't trigger the sound again. It waits for the motion to go below the threshold and then back up above it again to trigger an "Action".
I hope I explained it the best i could :?
That is what I think is making YAWCAM's "Motion detection" look unresponsive/slow to others(cited above) when there is high motion present actualy.

right now it seams to be working something like this:
ON "Interval"-timeout IF (OLDMOTION<THRESHOLD)AND(NEWMOTION>THRESHOLD) THEN ACTION

I think this should be changed to something like:
ON "Interval"-timeout IF NEWMOTION>THRESHOLD THEN ACTION

malun I don't know much of programming so it might be something else.
Thanks !
tomlouie

Post by tomlouie »

This is a great description of the problem with the current motion detection implementation.

Malun, how hard would it be to offer this behavior as a choice to the user in addition to the current motion detection?

Tom
kbezold

Post by kbezold »

This is a great suggestion.