Streaming Question & "Err. Timed out! Usr Online?&q

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Ramon

Streaming Question & "Err. Timed out! Usr Online?&q

Post by Ramon »

I've installed Yawcam on my computer. I can see myself in the preview window, and it successfully streams on the webpage when viewed from the host computer. The problem is, when someone remotely tries to look at the webpage, they get a "Err. Timed out! Usr Online?' error. Now, I know the user is online.
My question is: how can it play on the host computer, but not on a remote computer. The host computer is just a PC with a cable modem, it's not a server or on a network. I've tried looking at the streaming video from 3 remote computers, but each one gets the same error. I have made sure that all computers (both host and remote) have the latest version of Java installed, but I can't seem to get past this error. Can anyone help??
Jii

Streaming Question & "Err. Timed out! Usr Online?

Post by Jii »

how can it play on the host computer, but not on a remote computer. The host computer is just a PC with a cable modem, it's not a server or on a network.
This sounds like the typical condition nearly every user encounters with Yawcam on a first try (like I did) :wink:

In the Yawcam program, look for "Force public IP" checkbox, click it and then type in your public IP address on the field below. Do note, however, that if you have a dynamic IP address (meaning that your ISP gives the address), it is likely that it will eventually change.

You can find your public IP address by going to this web page:

http://www.whatismyip.com

If you have done that already, then there is a high probability that your ISP uses a transparent firewall to block traffic to port 8081 (the port Yawcam uses for streaming).

Hope this helps. :)
malun
Site Admin

Re: Streaming Question & "Err. Timed out! Usr Onlin

Post by malun »

Jii wrote: If you have done that already, then there is a high probability that your ISP uses a transparent firewall to block traffic to port 8081 (the port Yawcam uses for streaming).
If this is the case you can try to change the port number and see if it makes any difference.

/malun
Ramon

thank you guys

Post by Ramon »

thanks for the reply, it was a firewall. I disabled the Windows XP firewall, and Voila, others could check out my webcam!!

Thank you again,
Ramon
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

How nice. Great!
/m
GeeCee

Post by GeeCee »

Hi,
I'm a beginner too :D But Yawcam is realy the best soft I've tried !!! I have the same problem than Ramon... but I'm behind a router. How can I disable the firewall...and is there a windows xp firewall AND a router (zyxel P623-ME) firewall ?

Thank for all

Greg
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Greg>
How are you connected to the Internet? Like this:
Internet -> Router (zyxel P623-ME) -> WinXP computer with winxp-firewall enabled (and your webcam connected to this computer)
?

If this is the case you will have to forward a port from your router to your local computer. And also use the advanced option in the Yawcam settings to "force public ip". Look att your stream settings: settings -> edit settings -> stream
You can find some more info about this in the FAQ.

/malun