Publishing the webcam on a webpage.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
fivecheebs

Publishing the webcam on a webpage.

Post by fivecheebs »

Hi :)

Firstly this is a class little program, I really like it. My friend found it and our small group of friends have been using it in conjunction with Picophone for video conferencing.

Now we have been using it for a while with no problems other than the initial router config etc. (nothing major). We have been directly connecting to eachother rather than using an existing webpage. Now i decide i'd like to put it on my webspace to avoid remembering my ip (i dunno whats so hard about it it hasnt changed for about 3 years lol) and to allow me to easily point anyone to it if i need to.

So, i have put a copy of the signed_example.htm on my webspace insering my IP and port number here Its not running at the moment and in the same directory i put the YawApplet.class file and the YawApplet_s.jar file. (i cant find anything that explains what i need local to the server for this to work so i guessed a bit). FYI I have very little experiance with publishing we pages.

here is the source of the page:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Yawcam</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body>
<div align="center">
  <p><strong><font size="5" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="5" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">My 
    webcam!</f
ont></font></strong> </p>
  <p>
    <APPLET CODE=YawApplet.class WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" archive="YawApplet_s.jar">
      <param name="Host" value="81.86.161.144">
      <param name="Port" value="29760">
    </APPLET>
  </p>
  <p><a href="http://www.yawcam.com" target="_blank"> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-seri
f">www.yawcam.com</font></a></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>
I know i must be doing something silly, but what?

TIA

cheebs
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

If it's just that you don't want to use/remember your ip number, I can recommend you to test one of the services dyndns or no-ip. Read more about them under the head line "Dynamic IP" in this thread: http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30

But you can also use the signed applet if you want to :wink:
Are you sure that these settings you use now doesn't work? It is very usual that routers _doesn't_ have the loopback function so that you can watch yourself when you have forwarded ports. Ask a friend if he/she can see you!
The html code looks nice.

/malun

Post by Guest »

Its not just because of the IP, i may want to have a cam on the site permenantly at some point, and besides i want to learn how :)

I have used no-ip and similar services in the past but thanks for the link none the less.

I should have said before, sorry, im getting the "usr online?" error from my pc and a mates not on my network. I use WinXP and ICS with its port forwarding function to share my ADSL connection. I have not changed any settings for port "27960" (TCP and UDP are both open and pointing at my main rig, the one that currently has the webcam attached) Now i know the port works as i opened it for serving Q3, and it always worked, and still does, with yawcam, except the online version of the same html doc. (oops... actually the version i posted was the digned version and i havent used that locally)

Thanks about the comment on the html, but maybe you should give yourself a pat on the back as the code is yours from the /yawcam/stream/ directory. Its just the signed_example that i have ammended with my IP and port details ....:oops: .... actually ... just typing this i think i see the error of my ways..... lol ... i mis typed the port number in the code lol.... I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for your help malun and for the great program!
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

So, how did it go? Was the error solved by changing the mistyped portnumber?

/malun
fivecheebs

Post by fivecheebs »

well yes i think lol

I still could not connect to myself from work (another network) ... still go thte usr online? message. However my mate could see me ok on his PC. Might some people need some specific ports open to see it?

Thanks malun :)
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Ah, sounds like it's working :D
No, the viewer doesn't ever have to open any ports. That's only for the server side.

Have fun!
/malun

Post by Guest »

malun wrote:No, the viewer doesn't ever have to open any ports. That's only for the server side.
Thats what i guessed. Must have been cache hicup or similar