D-Eye Windows Sidebar Gadget

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
theoldschool

Post by theoldschool »

Interestingly I looked at the download link and when I moved my mouse over it, it showed "http://www.sticktech.net/sites/default/ ... 0.2.gadget" but if I right click on the link and choose "save Target as", the file is saved as "D-Eye0.2.zip"

I'm using IE8 at the moment but when I tried it using Google Chrome right-clicking the link and choosing "Open link in new window" saves it correctly with the .gadget extension....
Thomas Acid

Weird

Post by Thomas Acid »

It's weird, but IE8 on my windows 7 changes the ".gadget" extension to ".zip" in download prompt.

Opera and Safari download normally.

=========
Edited
=========
@theoldscholl - I see your post too late.
Dragnier

Post by Dragnier »

i see. I'd fire-up my IE and maybe download chrome too so that I can check and correct this issue.

if its not too much to ask from you guys, hope you can provide screenshots of the gadget in action. i would like to add a few more screenshots to the page as additional examples. this is just voluntary and I would understand if the locations you are looking at are too personal to share.

thanks
prutserke

Post by prutserke »

Dragnier wrote:@prutserke

i do not get why you are getting a zip file when the file in the download link has a .gadget extension. what operating system are you using? this only works for the following operating systems

Windows Vista
Windows 7

If you are using either of those, just try changing the extension to .gadget and double click the file.
Thanks for the answer.
I'm using Windows Vista.
I changed the extension like you told me to.
The gadget is now installed.
I added the gadget to the bar but nothing shows.
weird thing i have,
When i folow the instructions and enter only the local IP in the gadget options, after closing and reopen the options, all the digits stick tohether.
No points between.
Its like

URL : 19216812 (in stead of the 192.168.1.2 i entered origanly)
Port : 8888
Interval in seconds : 10

Very weird, can you help me ?
I must do something wrong but don't know what.
theoldschool

Post by theoldschool »

Hi Dragnier

A couple of screenshots taken from my desktop using the gadget:
Image (in the sidebar) and Image (detached).

Incidentally, I've found that operation of the gadget is not 100% reliable. Often when I boot up my laptop at work I get the dreaded white square with red cross. If I uninstall & reinstall the gadget it sometimes brings it back but not always. Also it sometimes comes back if I stop http output on Yawcam on my home computer and then restart it. Again, sometimes I find that I get a fixed image - i.e. the timestamp on the image freezes.

It is, however stable on the desktop of my home PC where I use localhost as the URL so the intermittent problem seems to be related to accessing over the internet
Dragnier

Post by Dragnier »

@theoldschool

thanks for the images and for bringing that to my attention. it seems that the problem occurs when the device is started before it can take the first image.

i've already planned a feature that would turn the gadget on and off in case the internet connection is lost. this would get rid of the red X screen and hopefully the reinstall issue. I'm also going to add checks prior to starting. Hopefully I can work on it soon.
Dragnier

Post by Dragnier »

Hi,

I've just released a new version that fixes the problem that makes the gadget not start properly when rebooting the computer. This should hopefully remove the need to reinstall the gadget every time you boot or reboot your computer.

just head to http://sticktech.net and click on the D-Eye tab to get the newest version.
prutserke

Post by prutserke »

Dragnier wrote:just head to http://sticktech.net and click on the D-Eye tab to get the newest version.
Thanks for posting a new release of the gadget.
One small problem for me, i can't download it.
I get the error :

Can be me doing something wrong too.
Dragnier

Post by Dragnier »

i've tried downloading the file both with firefox and IE and there was no problem. I think other people are able to download it as well as it's been dowloaded 10 times. i can't really diagnose your problem as i can't read german
prutserke

Post by prutserke »

Dragnier wrote:i've tried downloading the file both with firefox and IE and there was no problem. I think other people are able to download it as well as it's been dowloaded 10 times. i can't really diagnose your problem as i can't read german
Actually it's dutch.
I just tried it to download it from a computer at work.
With the same error (this time in english).

I still hope you can help me.
Thomas Acid

Drupal

Post by Thomas Acid »

@prutserke:
Drupal don't like Internet Explorer. It's something related to IE download cache disabled by Drupal. (Not Drupal fault, not IE fault. Just don't work.)
I suggest you to try another browser...
theoldschool

Post by theoldschool »

I had no problem with downloading it with Google Chrome.

It's definitely improvement on 0.2 - I found that when I dragged 0.2 to the sidebar it took quite a long time to open whereas 0.3 is much quicker. Also it's much more reliable - thanks for that!
prutserke

Re: Drupal

Post by prutserke »

Thomas Acid wrote:@prutserke:
Drupal don't like Internet Explorer. It's something related to IE download cache disabled by Drupal. (Not Drupal fault, not IE fault. Just don't work.)
I suggest you to try another browser...
@theoldschool and Thomas Acid
Seems like it.
Tried to download with Google Chrome and indeed no problem.
Thanks for the tips and info.

But now i'm still stuck with my problem discribed above.
weird thing i have,
When i folow the instructions and enter only the local IP in the gadget options, after closing and reopen the options, all the digits stick tohether.
No points between.
Its like

URL : 19216812 (in stead of the 192.168.1.2 i entered origanly)
Port : 8888
Interval in seconds : 10
Can someone help me please ?
Thomas Acid

input

Post by Thomas Acid »

Use "localhost" instead your ip adress or try to input your ip using copy & paste, manual input, virtual keyboard, everything you can imagine.
If nothings work, browse to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar and locate the file "Settings.ini". Open this file in Notepad and post what you can read there.
Dragnier

Post by Dragnier »

thanks for the feedback. I already had an on/off feature planned but thought it was important to have the fixed version out as replacing the gadget and entering the settings every time you reboot can be quite annoying. :lol:

the on/off feature i'm planning would reduce the gadget size to around 20% of the docked size when you turn it off so that it's not taking up too much space.

@prutserke
I'm sorry bout that. I'm just curious, which version of IE are you using that spawns that error? just follow Thomas Acid's suggestion to use localhost. You can also try opening the mentioned file up and entering the IP address manually. You can find the URL near the bottom of the file.