Problem -Can't write file check if directory exists.....

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
kiwiradical

Problem -Can't write file check if directory exists.....

Post by kiwiradical »

Great product...but..I am trying to use Yawcam on a remote unattended PC. It works fine for a random period of time from hours to days then halts with a "cannot write file, check if directory exists'

Of course the directory exits as it's been writing the update files fine for days.

It's a laptop running Win XP, the latest JRE is installed, there's plenty of room on the disk.

I've tried everything i can think of to solve the problem, updating java, re0installing Yawcam etc.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's causing this? The user is logged on as administrator, and a weather program and an FTP updater are the only other programs running. Dorgem works fine on the same configuration.
KFAPWeather

Can't write file check problem

Post by KFAPWeather »

I have the same problem as kiwiradical in almost identical setup. Netbook, Win XP, running unattended, the problem occurs after days of reliable 24/7 operation.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Are you using the file output when you get this error?

/malun
KFAPWeather

Post by KFAPWeather »

malun wrote:Are you using the file output when you get this error?

/malun
Yes, and file output is the only thing I have selected. I output a file every 15 minutes. The rest is handled by Fling and other software (weather data).
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm not sure why you get an IO error when saving the file. Perhaps some other software you use are locking the file when Yawcam tries to write to it?

However a possible solution would be to add an option "silent retry on error" like the one for ftp upload. I'll see what I can do.

/malun
KFAPWeather

Post by KFAPWeather »

malun wrote:I'm not sure why you get an IO error when saving the file. Perhaps some other software you use are locking the file when Yawcam tries to write to it?

However a possible solution would be to add an option "silent retry on error" like the one for ftp upload. I'll see what I can do.

/malun
The only possibility is Fling, which reads the file for upload every 15 minutes. I am not familiar with Fling internal code, so I don't know whether it attempts to lock the file in some way. But there are several files which might be written or read by other software and are uploaded by Fling, and I don't get any other indications of conflict. Silent retry once or twice (I would not use it if it were not limited) would probably work. If this happens again, I will try to see if there is something in common among occurrences. The last one was during a re-start of the system, so the chances for an image refresh colliding with file upload are pretty good.

Del
KFAPWeather

Post by KFAPWeather »

KFAPWeather wrote:If this happens again, I will try to see if there is something in common among occurrences. The last one was during a re-start of the system, so the chances for an image refresh colliding with file upload are pretty good.

Del
Happened twice more, not during a system re-start. No commonality as far as time of day, system activity.

Del
ranma

Post by ranma »

maybe this will do the trick:
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1576

if sub-folder does not exist it will create it
KFAPWeather

Post by KFAPWeather »

ranma wrote:maybe this will do the trick:
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1576

if sub-folder does not exist it will create it
Probably not. I am not doing ftp with yawcam, just saving a file. And I have found a more reliable application to do that.
theoldschool

Re: Problem -Can't write file check if directory exists.....

Post by theoldschool »

I've had this problem off & on for years & yes, it does seem to happen at random intervals - re what software I'm using could be locking the file, I can only think of my weather station software, "Weather Display" which shows a thumbnail image from the camera on the main page.
I did notice from an old post when Magnus said "However a possible solution would be to add an option "silent retry on error" like the one for ftp upload. I'll see what I can do" - did you ever get a chance to look at this Magnus?
jxoco

Post by jxoco »

I've used the FTP built into yawcam for a couple of years and not had this problem so I wouldn't use fling.
If I did use fling I would probably try having Yawcam create an image array 2 deep and having fing just only pick up the second image, which would be the older not connected to yawcam image. It would be the image that is just having a rename done to it.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Sorry, I still haven't fixed a "silent retry" for file output. But it is on the todo-list...

/malun
theoldschool

Post by theoldschool »

Hi Magnus
I still get this problem with saving images to a file - has it got any further up your to do list? I live with it by running a small routine (in Homeseer) say every hour which compares the current time with the timestamp on the saved image file from Yawcam and if it's longer than say 61 minutes it means that Yawcam has stopped saving files and the same routine then kills Yawcam and restarts it. Although it works, it is a bit clunky and it would be great if it could be carried out in Yawcam.
theoldschool

Post by theoldschool »

Hi Magnus

Upgraded to v 0.5.0 hoping that it might have fixed the lack of a "silent retry on error" for saving to a file but still experiencing the problem - have you had any more thoughts about whether you could fix this? My Weather Display home page picks up an image from a file saved by Yawcam every minute but several times a day Yawcam fails to save the image and I have to press "enable" against File on the console. Any help/suggestions would be welcome!
Thank you
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Oh my... Nope, still nothing fixed to get around this problem.
Let's do something about this. I just moved the "retry on error" for File output way up in the todo list. It's now in the top 5.

...and as usual I can't say anything about the time frame when it will be done.

/malun