Suggestion -Help eliminate false motion alerts

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
kiwiradical

Suggestion -Help eliminate false motion alerts

Post by kiwiradical »

Many false motion alerts are caused by changes in lighting, particularly on outdoor cameras, and in my case also by vibration caused by wind.

It would be good to have a rejection filter on motion alerts where say more than 80% (selectable value would be good) of the image changed. When lighting changes substantially (e.g.sun goes behind a cloud), or the field of view changes slightly through vibration a lot of the image changes and hence should be able to be filtered out as too high a change, whilst still preserving alerts for changes above the normally set tolerance level.

At present on a outdoor camera I get 20-40 false alerts a day as a result of light changes.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I agree this would be a nice feature and it seems I've seen this request fairly often lately, I'll add it to the suggestions list to be reviewed by Malun.
kiwiradical

Post by kiwiradical »

malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

It's a nice idea.
I'll add it to the todo list.
Thanks.

/malun
danno

False motion detection

Post by danno »

I too have noticed a very high number of false motion detections, many not even sun or weather related (my camera is pointed outside as well). Even on overcast days I get motion detections that occur for seemingly no reason. I happened to be watching on an overcast day and for some reason the whole motion detection selection region flashed briefly as if motion was detected in the whole area even though it was a cloudy day and light levels remained constant. It doesn't even flash that much if I tap the camera lightly. Maybe the camera hiccuped, but I did not see anything unusual in the images and the preview always looks clean even when one of these false motion events happens.

kiwiradical got me thinking though. After reading his post I looked at the motion log and just about all the false detections were in the 95-100% activity range. As he mentions, if an upper and lower threshold were able to be set this could just about completely solve this anomoly. Motion detection (for me) is generally in the 8 to 20% range. So if a slider were available to set the upper limit in addition to the current lower limit that would be great.

Still doesn't explain for me why visibly static scenes outside trigger like they do with such high percentages. I'm using a Logitech Quickcam. Do people with indoor facing cameras have similar false motion detections?

Thanks!
bben95

Post by bben95 »

Danno, I think your problem is with the camera, mine does that too.
carlohap

Re: Suggestion -Help eliminate false motion alerts

Post by carlohap »

+1 for a feature preventing false alerts due to change in light.

Thanks in advance!
langehaas

Post by langehaas »

Any change this is getting implemented any time soon? On outside cameras most of the alerts are false and are triggered because 80%+ of the image changed because of changing light.

(Thanks for a great piece of software!)
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Yes, a "max filter" is implemented and will be released in the next beta version.
When the filter is activated, motion events will not be triggered if the amount of change in the image is above a selectable level.

The beta version will hopefully be released soon :wink:

/malun
generalsu

Post by generalsu »

I am glad yawcam is still alive. I thought yawcam development has been halted.
generalsu

Post by generalsu »

How about a different Motion Detection settings based on time? For example, 6:00 to 17:00 one setting and 17:00 to 6:00 another setting. Is this possible with the current version?
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

@Generalsu, we'll have to wait for the beta to find out.

Thank you Malun for this feature.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Okay, the new beta version is ready for download.
Get it here:
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4316

/malun
thankyouyawcam

Post by thankyouyawcam »

It would be a great boost for me if one could stipulate if motion change is over a high percentage then disregard. The reason in my case is because at night the security lighting from a house on the opposite which comes on when anyone enters or leaves reflects on to my path. Therefore it triggers Yawcam when it comes on AND subsequently goes off. Also if it is raining and the road is wet car headlights can also occasionally trigger Yawcam as the beam goes on to the path. I do need to have my motion detection area covering all of my path.

It's not a case of two false images for each time the light comes on and off because i also receive an email with an automated 20 images per triggering.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

You probably want to use max filter that is available in the latest beta version liked above.
Car headlights that shines into the detection area will most likely not be filtered out by the max filter. My guess is that they will affect a too small part of the image.

/malun