Problems connecting Yawcam to an IP camera

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Helge

Problems connecting Yawcam to an IP camera

Post by Helge »

I have so far had no success with connecting Yawcam to my two Panasonic IP Cameras (BB-HCM531 and KX-HCM280A). Yawcam has worked fine for me with two PCs with USB cameras for years, but now when I want to connect to my IP cameras I have run into problems. I wanted to use the Yawcam image array (as I have done with the USB cams) but now with the IP cams as source.

Checking the video stream setup in the IP cameras I found:

RTSP Port No. 554 (RTSP controls the MPEG-4 stream of connected clients.)
RTP Port No. 33000 to 33128 (Determines the port number used for the video and audio streaming transmission protocol.)

Using the camara IP adress and :554 (or :3300 or :33128) does not work.

Any ideas? Will Yawcam simply not work with such Panasonic IP cameras?
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Yawcam only supports MJPEG IP cameras at the moment.
See if it is possible to change the output format for your ip cameras.

For the KX-HCM280A: Open the ip camera's webpage in a browser.
Click on Motion JPEG and check the source url for the video stream.
This is the url you need to input in Yawcam.

/malun
Helge

Post by Helge »

Well my Panasonic BB-HCM531 has both still JPEG updated every 3, 5 etc second and live stream in MJPEG or MPEG-4. Yawcam should then be able to handle the MJPEG? I have however not been able to find the video stream in the Panasonic Web interface. Should the stream be on the format CameraIP:port number... or?

My Panasonic KX-HCM280A does not spesicfy MJPEG or MPEG-4.... only "Motion" in addition to the still images. The question: Is "Motion" in this camera MPEG-4 or MJPEG....
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Yes, Yawcam should be able to handle the MJPEG stream.
A typical url to the stream for an axis camera looks like this:
http://CameraIP:port/mjpg/video.mjpg

If make your ip-camera online and send the address for it in en email to me I can login and see if can find the url for the stream.

/malun
Helge

Post by Helge »

I have actually not started using Yawcam with IP camera until one week ago... and it will not work properly.

When I start Yawcam I can connect to the Panasonic IP camera and preview the image and also upload images by FTP. But when I set up the FTP connection to upload images f.ex every 10 minutes or every 30 minutes only 2, 3 or 4 images are uploaded and the upload stops. When I check the preview window it is black. Choosing "change to ip camera" the video image again appear in the preview window. But again only a few upload intervals work. I have tried this now on three different computers:

1.) 2 X Dell dekstops running Win XP
2.) Dell laptop running Win 7

Same result :(

Any idea why Yawcam seem to loose contact with camera? The two desktop computers are in the same small LAN, actually one in LAN the other is WLAN and the laptop access the camera over Internet.
Helge

Post by Helge »

Helge wrote:When I start Yawcam I can connect to the Panasonic IP camera and preview the image and also upload images by FTP. But when I set up the FTP connection to upload images f.ex every 10 minutes or every 30 minutes only 2, 3 or 4 images are uploaded and the upload stops. When I check the preview window it is black. Choosing "change to ip camera" the video image again appear in the preview window. But again only a few upload intervals work.

Any idea why Yawcam seem to loose contact with camera? The two desktop computers are in the same small LAN, actually one in LAN the other is WLAN and the laptop access the camera over Internet.
BTW: Quite early on I believed I hade found the problem with motion video time limit.... but after setting this to unlimited the problem still remain.
Helge

Post by Helge »

Update: As mentioned Yawcam usually manages to FTP upload only a few images before upload stops - most common 4 images and with 10 minutes interval that is 30 minutes (0-10-20-30). At and after 40 minutes no images is uploaded. However I have at 2 occations experienced that Yawcam continues to upload images, but then only the same (an old) image. When this happens the Yawcam preview windows is black as when the image upload simply stops.

Any ideas?
Helge

Post by Helge »

Helge wrote:...... or 4 images are uploaded and the upload stops. When I check the preview window it is black.
Helge wrote:When this happens the Yawcam preview windows is black as when the image upload simply stops.
Sorry... this is not accurate :oops: Sometimes the preview window is black (emty) but other times the preview windows apparantly shows the image and is updating(?) but when I check the sky pattern, sunlight etc it is clear that the preview window is showing and old picture.

Before Yawcam stops uploading or starts uploading a non changing image the preview window clearly updates with NEW images.