How can I enable the ordinary Applet?

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Caesar

Post by Caesar »

I have W2K installed with an earlier Java version and can't see the streaming video, only a grey box.
Where do I change the settings from the signed applet to the ordinary one?

Thank you.

PS: Does anybody has a Netgear Router here and can tell me where to redirect one port on the router so it points to the computer where Yawcam runs. (If you use the default port number in Yawcam, you have to redirect port number 8081).
Thank you again.
RRRRyan

2 answers

Post by RRRRyan »

1. If you have Yawcam 0.2.4 you will want to install the latest java runtime on the machine you access the applet from. If you want compatibility with older versions of the runtime you'll want version 0.2.3 which is available: here thanks to /malun.

2. The netgear router is pretty simple. In the router configuration site you'll need to create a service I call mine "webcam", that's where you define the port range (8081-8081 or I use 8080 since it works through more firewalls), then you'll need to create a rule for that service. It's under rules that you can specify the machine to forward to. Works like a charm.
Caesar

Grey box

Post by Caesar »

Hi RRRRyan,

Thank you very much for your reply.
People can see the website but only a grey box.
Here it says applet not found. On other machines they see only the grey box as well.
Do you have an email or ICQ installed where I could give you the address of the webcam to test it with your Java version?

Thanks again.
Caesar

Error again

Post by Caesar »

Hi again,

I installed version 0.2.3 and I can see now on the local network the streaming video, but everybody outside only sees the website and a grey box telling:"Err. Chk host! Need signed applet?"

Mmhh
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

You might have forgotten to mark the "Advanced" check-box in the stream settings and force your public address. If you haven't done this, all viewers outside your network will get the "Err. Check host..."-error...

In yawcam 0.2.3 you will have to type in your public address by yourself (look it up on www.whatismyip.com ). In Yawcam 0.2.4 it should be enough to just click the "Get!" button located beside the address field.

/malun
Caesar

Still not...

Post by Caesar »

Thank you malun for the reply.

"You might have forgotten to mark the "Advanced" check-box in the stream settings and force your public address. If you haven't done this, all viewers outside your network will get the "Err. Check host..."-error..."

Nop, it is ticked (otherwise they wouldn't see the website either which the public can see over the internet).

"In yawcam 0.2.3 you will have to type in your public address by yourself (look it up on www.whatismyip.com ). "
I have done this too since people wouldn't see the website either if it wouldn't be done.
The applet doesn't start or work. That's the problem.

Be careful with www.whatismyip.com!
This site shows in most instances (if your ISP is behind proxies or you are going through a router and/or firewall) a different IP.
A better address to check your *real* public IP is: http://checkip.dyndns.org/
or
http://www.showmyip.com/

This is the source code of the index.html (I have crossed out the public IP for security reason):
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Palm Cove Webcam</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#000066">
<div align="center">
<p><font color="#00CCFF" size="5" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Palm Cove</font>
</p>
<p>
<APPLET CODE=YawApplet.class WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240">
<param name="Host" value="220.235.xx.xx">
<param name="Port" value="8081">
</APPLET>
</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

and this is the local.html which works fine on another box in the network:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Palm Cove Webcam</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#000066">
<div align="center">
<p><font color="#00CCFF" size="5" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Palm Cove</font>
</p>
<p>
<APPLET CODE=YawApplet.class WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240">
<param name="Host" value="192.168.0.4">
<param name="Port" value="8081">
</APPLET>
</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

If you like we can arrange a time where we could meet to go through the settings. Do you have ICQ installed?
My number is 7149391 or email scirocco@gmx.li

Thanks again for help.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

If you like we can arrange a time where we could meet to go through the settings. Do you have ICQ installed?
My number is 7149391 or email scirocco@gmx.li
I have two exams during the following days, so I don't have so much time right now. I'll try to contact you in the end of next week.

/malun
RRRRyan

Post by RRRRyan »

Caesar, if you are still having trouble you can sometimes catch me on AIM with SN RRRRyan.