Scheduling Feature

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
gummylick

Scheduling Feature

Post by gummylick »

Just an idea:

What about a scheduling feature built in Yawcam. So that the program launches (or at lease closes) after x amount of hrs. This would be ideal for those of us who turn the cam off at night and start it back up in the morning.

:)
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

It's a good idea. (and it has been brought up before...)
This idea is already on my "todo-list", but not on top at the moment.
So, you'll have to wait for this function...

/malun
Jii

Post by Jii »

Another way to solve this problem until Malun makes this feature available is to use the scheduling feature in Windows. Starting Yawcam is not a problem, but shutting it down at a specified time is another matter.

Luckily, in Windows XP, there's a process killer program called "tskill" that can be used to kill any process the Yawcam process. Just make a .bat or .cmd file with a command to kill the Yawcam process. To make your job easier, here's a sample file contents I have made for the process killer:

@Echo Off
tskill yawcam*

Those two lines and that's it! Just remember to schedule a time for the .cmd file.

The only problem is that the violent process killing leaves the "Yawcam eye" icon on the taskbar (if you have decided to keep the "eye" visible when Yawcam is running), but it disappears when you move a mouse over them. You can imagine the number of eyes in a server, where Yawcam has been running and being killed for two weeks in a row... :P
gummylick

Post by gummylick »

Thanks, Jii! You pinpointed my problem: ending the task. I could start it but I didn't know how to end it, cmd file works like a charm. :D
Markku

Post by Markku »

Jii wrote:
Another way to solve this problem until Malun makes this feature available is to use the scheduling feature in Windows. Starting Yawcam is not a problem, but shutting it down at a specified time is another matter.

Luckily, in Windows XP, there's a process killer program called "tskill" that can be used to kill any process the Yawcam process. Just make a .bat or .cmd file with a command to kill the Yawcam process. To make your job easier, here's a sample file contents I have made for the process killer:

@Echo Off
tskill yawcam*

Those two lines and that's it! Just remember to schedule a time for the .cmd file.

The only problem is that the violent process killing leaves the "Yawcam eye" icon on the taskbar (if you have decided to keep the "eye" visible when Yawcam is running), but it disappears when you move a mouse over them. You can imagine the number of eyes in a server, where Yawcam has been running and being killed for two weeks in a row... :P
Is tskill working on Win 2000 if I just copy the file(s) from XP? Or do you know any good killer app for Win 2000?
Markku

Post by Markku »