Suggestions for improvements

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...

Suggestions for improvements

Post by Guest »

Just want to say what you're doing is great and keep it up. I'd always thought that setting up a webcam would be too tricky so put it off. Then just decided to do it and came across Yawcam and BANG....I'm on the interent. Yawcam makes it easy.

I'm using the Beta version and look forward to when this version gets fully packed up but have some small suggestions if anyone's interested.

1. When the password box pops up to ask for your password - as a time saver - make the password field have focus automatically instead of using the mouse.
2. Then as you've finished putting your password in I would like to be able to press Enter to submit it. At the moment I have to go back to the mouse to click OK.
3. When Yawcam is in the Systray and you click on it, it comes out of the tray. I would like to see it stay in the tray as sometimes - even with one click - the next item in the tray also opens.
4. Then perhaps an option to allow that when you click on the close X in the title bar, it minimises into Systray instead of closing (at the moment you have to go to View to Hide it).
5. Then when you right click on the icon in the Systray, it gives you a menu to do stuff eg: open just the preview window of the cam, or just the viewers box.
6. Perhaps an option to allow you to keep Yawcam 'On top' so you could just have the Preview window open at the top of your screen and always visible.

Not sure whether many of these are feasible or not. Feel free to dismiss them as quickly as you read them. I'm still very happy with the functionality of the Beta version.

Cheers
:D
richiebman

Post by richiebman »

Sorry that was from me richiebman. Just registered and thought I was logged in but wasn't when I submitted. :D
richiebman

Post by richiebman »

Got another idea. When you've got Yawcam taking snaps at certain intervals to upload via FTP, how about a countdown so you know when the picture is going to be taken?

I want the 'moon on a stick' you'll say :wink: .

I'll stop now.
Cheers,
R
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

A lot of good ideas!
But I'm sorry to say that the idea number six above is not possible to accomplish in java.
I don't promise to add anyone of the ideas to Yawcam, but I'll promise to add them to my "perhaps-do-sometime-later-list" :wink: And I'll try to keep them in mind in the future work.

/malun
richiebman

Post by richiebman »

Oh yeah I understand, they were always only suggestions. If you put them in that's great, and if not, I will still be using Yawcam on my website coz it's beta version is great.

I have actually solved suggestion 6 myself. I have a Nvidia graphics card that has a desktop manager which I discovered can keep selected programs 'on top'. So I'll let you off with that one :wink: . Oh and for suggestion 2 - press tab twice and hit the space bar.

Keep up the good work malun,
R