Need some help please.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Country_Bubba

Need some help please.

Post by Country_Bubba »

Hello,
I have been running Yawcam for a couple of months now and everything was fine until a week ago.
My system:
Windows XP SP3
Pentium DuoCore 2.73Ghz
3GB of ram

I run two instances of Yawcam so I can have two different areas of motion detection off the same EDIMAX IP Camera connected wirless to my machine.

I run this local only (nothing put on the net) and have one preview screen running in a thumbnail size on the monitor. I use the camera to see who is coming down my driveway!

Problem: At random times, the program and camera will become "disassociated" and I have to go back in to settings and "change device"
I don't think it is overloading the computer as yesterday, I had to leave and it did this about 3-4 hours after I left. About half an hour ago, I noticed that once again it was not working properly and reconnected and it worked for about 5 min. this time. Yet it worked well for a few weeks after it was first installed.

Any ideas will be appreciated as I really like this program.
Thanks in Advance.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Does this happen when you download or use a lot of bandwidth, therefore limiting the amount of data being transfered between the camera and yawcam?
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

I don't believe there is that much activity that would cause that. As I said, I was gone for several hours yesterday and it bombed hours after I left and the only download would be my e-mail.
Right now, I am streaming the news off the net and it is working very well!
I cannot find any statistical reason for it to happen. It "seems" to be completely random.

Thanks
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

What about the ram, if you open the task manager, what is the percentage of usage on CPU and Memory?
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

Right now while streaming the news etc, it peaked at 20% on the cpu and
Page file usage is 3.75GB.

Commit Charge: 3847M/4920M
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

That may be the source of the problem, your using more ram then what is available to your PC, I've seen this happen before where Yawcam will lose the webcam if the ram is full and it's using the page file.
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

OK, we will try to cut something out and see what happens.

Appreciate the help.
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

OK, we tried removing everything we could and had to leave the house and it bombed upon exit!
The memory usage never got above about 1.75GB (found the offending problem from previous post) and when I left, the cpu usage was in the 15% region.
So, when I got home and found that it was not working properly, I tried killing the second instance of Yawcam and it has now been running nearly 24 hours with NO problems!
I theorize the second instance was causing a trip of the motion detection and then there was a contention between the two instances that was causing a problem. In most cases, it was causing both instances to loose contact with the camera but sometimes only the primary lost contact. (If that makes sense).

Hopefully, the problem is resolved for now, but I would still like to see multiple motion detection areas as discussed in another thread.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Quite honestly, I think it does make sense, I've seen it happen when I have multiple instances of Yawcam, one seems to lose contact to the camera as well, stopping and starting the service fixes the problem though. Although, I was originally blaming it on the camera because I noticed it worked fine until I logged in to windows, which is when it would lose it's connection, after restarting the service everything ran smoothly until either the CPU or RAM was over-used. I just upped the RAM from 512MB to 2GB (the max the computer can handle). Maybe Malun could comment on this and verify whether having 2 instances running motion detection could interfere with each other.
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

Things have been working fairly well, but I did have an instance this afternoon where the camera became disconnected. I may have been really pushing the computer when it happened. Not sure.
jordandalley

Re: Need some help please.

Post by jordandalley »

I found that turning off the "Turn off Monitor" after xx minutes setting in Windows fixed this issue.