Feature suggestion: Exclude an area from motion detection.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...

Would an exclude area for motion detection come in handy?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4

Collis

Feature suggestion: Exclude an area from motion detection.

Post by Collis »

In the professional solution I have at work, I can exclude certain areas from motion detection, rather than only define an include area.

As an example: We have a strip of glass next to our office doors, so we can see if someone is present, or in a meeting or whatever, without opening the office door. I would like to see who actually comes into my office, but not the faces peering through the window, or people walking by the window. It would be great to exclude only the strip of glass from motion detection, so that I still record people coming in and then doing something behind my desk (those two parts of the room are seperated by the glass strip in the picture, so currently, with a single include area, I can cover either the door, or my desk. With an exclude area, I can detect both the door and my desk).

Example 2: There is a cam pointed to the entrance of our office building. There is a strip of road on the screen where cars speed by. I want to see people going in and out, or even peering through the glass by our entrance, but not get all cars speeding by, so it would be nice to exclude the strip of road from motion detection.

Example 3: I have a cam in my living room to check on my cats and get alerted should there be a break in. The cam is on motion detection 24/7. When I come home, I usually make some dinner and then sit down on the couch and watch a movie or series. As long as I sit there, no motion detection is needed. However, the cam is pointed at my TV screen. It would be nice to exclude just the TV so that the whole movie isn't captured by motion detection.

Hope you will at least give it some thought. If you need stills of the examples, let me know, I'll be glad to provide them for you.

Best regards.
memoric

Post by memoric »

Voted yes. ;)
(I think someone has requested this before...)
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

It's already in the suggestions list.

http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1577

Malun has reviewed the idea and likes it. It should be included in a future release.
Collis

Post by Collis »

z3r0c00l12 wrote:It's already in the suggestions list.

http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1577

Malun has reviewed the idea and likes it. It should be included in a future release.
My request is not quite the same: With privacy zones, you do record when motion is detected at the privacy zone, but you mask out certain areas. With an exclusion zone, you don't record when motion is detected in the exclusion zone, but when you do record (because of motion outside the exclusion zone) you do want to see the exclusion zone.

Take my office example:

With privacy zones, I would not see the glass strip next to the door, but when people peer in, a snapshot would be taken (I just would not see who peered through the window). When someone comes into the room, and has someone on the lookout behind the glass strip, I would not see the accomplice.

With the exclusion zone, no recording would be made when someone would peer through the glass strip, but if someone would come into my office with someone on the lookout behind the glass, I would get a snapshot with both thieves/pranksters/spies.