Streaming behind router

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
violetdrm

Streaming behind router

Post by violetdrm »

Is there any way to upload a stream to a real webserver and have it stream from there? I know it wouldn't be exactly live but I am afraid I can't get my ports opened or forwarded or anything. Sorry for being stupid I'm just nt sure how it works!

Thanks for a great program.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm afraid that you have to redirect/forward ports if your webcam is located behind a router. Unfortunately there is no way to upload the stream to a webserver and broadcast it from there without having some software running on the webserver machine. Maybe I could write this kind of software, but there is not likely that you are permitted to run it on your webserver.

In your case, I think you will have to manage with the ftp-output.
Sorry!

/malun
violetdrm

Post by violetdrm »

Do you think you'll write this kind of software in the future?
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm sorry to say that I don't think so.
There are not so many users that will be able to use it, so the priority for this is very low.

/malun
jp

Post by jp »

Excellent stuff malun which I discovered today through google. Is working fine although it took me some time to figure out that I needed to force the external ip address to get a picture (may be you want to put this in the faq).
I would also very much appreciate if I could stream through the (linux) apache server which I have in my lan, main reason is that I could then use an .htaccess file to restrict access to friends.

keep up the good work!
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

One can always rely on google :D
it took me some time to figure out that I needed to force the external ip address
This is the most common problem, and most frequent question I get... So, in the new version (which is not so far from release) there will pop up a warning if a local address is used.

Well, you can always put the html page and the applet on your apache server and protect them with a .htaccess. Just copy the files from the directory where you installed yawcam.
Ofcourse this will not be 100% secure, but this will keep the most unwanted viewers away.

/malun
jp

Post by jp »

yep, i'm now streaming from apache. ht access is not 100% but better than nothing
jp

Post by jp »

As it turned out today, I have no access from outside my network (ie outside the router).

The router is passing on port 80 requests to my apache server 192.168.100.2

I have copied the files you recommended and edited the file which was called something like example for external use.html

it has the following values
code=yawapplet.class
archive=yawapplet_s.jar
host value=192.168.100.6 port value=8081 (this is were yawcam is running seen from the apache webserver.

Internally no problems :D

Externally I'm taking through the moves that I have to accept the signed applet with your name (warned that it is not etc...)
In Mozilla I see a progress bar saying something like loading yawapplet.class during this acceptance stage.

After I accept it says

err timed out! usr online?
:(

BTW I get that messages almost instantly.

What is going wrong :?:
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I checked the signed_example.html and now sees that I have written:

Code: Select all

<param name="Host" value="_Computer_where_you_run_yawcam_">
This is not quite correct. Sorry for that!

The host value should instead contain the public address to the computer where you run Yawcam.
I'll try to remember to change this in the next release.

You can find out your public address by visiting http://www.whatismyip.com

While the computer running Yawcam is behind a router you also have to redirect the port 8081 in your router settings.

Please try again :wink:

/malun
jp

Post by jp »

That is a pitty. The reason I want to use apache is that it is proven to be solid and is regularly updated for all kind of loopholes (and the .htaccess restrictions it offers). IN addition it is running on rock solid linux.
So I guess no streaming for me for the time being as I rather not open a port to a windows PC, especially with software still under development (no offence intended). If I have to relay port 8081 to the win machine there is not much point of streaming it over apache's port 80 of my webserver.
I have no knowledge whatsoever of java, do you think that in future you could/would build in this kind of support (streaming over another server on the lan)

I'm still happy with the no nonsense file upload
:P
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

If I have to relay port 8081 to the win machine there is not much point of streaming it over apache's port 80 of my webserver.
I agree.

The problem is that you always need one port open to the "Yawcam-computer" be able to stream video.

I can never send the video stream via the apache software. The only possibility is to write some software that runs in parallel to apache and handles the video stream. But then you still would have to open up a new port number (in this case from your router to your apache machine).

In security aspects this would be as bad as open up a port to your windows machine.

This kind of software would only solve the problem described in the first post on this page: that you don't have permission to redirect ports on your router.

So it will not increase security.

Regarding security in Yawcam: I have thought about it, but ofcourse you can't be 100% sure that no flaws exists.

/malun
jp

Post by jp »

I see, tx for the explanation
Stryder

Post by Stryder »

I would suggest that if you can't see your Streamed output when using a configuration where your Local network shows the output to use a PROXY to check your IP.

Something like Http://www.proxify.com should be able to allow you to see if the connection is coming through using a Third person IP.

It seems that the ISP's setup their router connections to stop people generating large bandwidth consuming loopbacks through being able to see their own servers. Otherwise someone could setup like a 1Gb file thats made to upload/download itself constantly (Like a giant worm).

You might be happy to find that just for that reason is the only reason why you can't see your streaming video, but other people can.

(As a side note, this is also the case with other servers, not something that Malun can program round. )