Yawcam Service Stopping on Windows 7 Pro x86 SP1

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
generiq

Yawcam Service Stopping on Windows 7 Pro x86 SP1

Post by generiq »

I've been using Yawcam on this and several other computers for several years, and it usually works great - but every now and then it gives me problems. Right now I'm having an issue I simply haven't been able to resolve, and I'm hoping someone can help.

The application was working fine on this machine for months, but lately the service continuously stops and I can't figure out why. It's definitely possible that Windows Updates might have been installed, but I can't really pinpoint exactly when it stopped working to compare the update installation logs. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Yawcam (0.4.1), and Java (versions 6 update 45 and 7 updates 40, 45, and 51), but nothing seems to help.

It's important to note that if I log-in, and manually start Yawcam as an application, it works fine indefinitely - but when I run it as a service, it starts and runs for a few minutes then stops. I've tried changing the service account it runs under to a local admin account with the same results. I've combed the event logs and don't see anything that tells me why the service is stopping.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
][Q][

PS - here's the only thing I'm seeing in the Event Viewer related to Yawcam:

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 1/29/2014 3:25:01 PM
Event ID: 7036
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: LivingRoom
Description:
The Yawcam service entered the stopped state.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">7036</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-29T21:25:01.353380500Z" />
<EventRecordID>286946</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="660" ThreadID="5276" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>LivingRoom</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Yawcam</Data>
<Data Name="param2">stopped</Data>
<Binary>590061007700630061006D002F0031000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
jxoco

Re: Yawcam Service Stopping on Windows 7 Pro x86 SP1

Post by jxoco »

I'm getting something similar, 4 laptops all running for years, now are getting an 'FTP error read timed out'.
no problem when I FTP from dos, but yawcam can't work now.
I don't know if it was a microsoft patch or ?.
I don't know if it is the same problem as you are experiencing as one of the pc's is winXP and it has the same problem. The other three are win7.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Have either of you tried the combination Yawcam v0.4.1 with Java 7u45?

It may be a problem with the latest version of Java (7u51) being installed automatically.
generiq

Post by generiq »

generiq wrote:I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Yawcam (0.4.1), and Java (versions 6 update 45 and 7 updates 40, 45, and 51), but nothing seems to help.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I did read that, but mentioning so many actions in one sentenced only means you performed quick tests without properly testing each component properly and rebooting between each install and uninstall.
generiq

Post by generiq »

Yes, I have tried with each version of Java, uninstalling and rebooting after each version.
jxoco

Post by jxoco »

Turns out that my problem is a false alarm.
After hours of trying to figure it out, I opened filezilla and had the same problem.
It appears that my ISP changed the FTP requirements and I have to use the 'use active ftp mode' now.
Maybe someone else uses the same provider 'ftp.shaw.ca'
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm glad you found the problem :-)
Thanks for sharing the solution!

/malun
generiq

Post by generiq »

That issue was unrelated to mine - I am still having issues keeping the service running.
jxoco

Post by jxoco »

generiq, are you running just a single instance of yawcam on this machine?
are you streaming or ftping or?
I remember when I had something a little similar when I had a single install and then went to multiple instances and created folders for each instance.
I had random strange stopping and disconnecting until I erased all traces of the .yawcam folder in users/user/.yawcam
I moved the .yawcam folder to the yawcamsettings folder that you create for multiple installs.
and changed the service_profile.cfg to point to it
and added 'service' the end of the line in launcher.cfg and changed the yawcam.exe to yawcam1.exe
and then I start yawcam1.exe in the startup icon shortcut.

I have also had problems with individual cameras going on and off, usually because of the length of the usb cable.
generiq

Post by generiq »

Sorry for the delayed response jxoco, I just saw your reply for some reason...

I'm streaming, and using motion detection on a schedule (I've tried disabling the schedule as-well, just to be sure).

I'm still having issues, and just replaced my webcam hoping that it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it did-not (but it did improve my image quality, and I'm hoping it will trigger less false alerts). For the record, it's a standard length USB cable that is permanently attached to the webcam (Logitech C310 HD).

I'm only running a single instance of Yawcam on the system, and only have a single webcam plugged in. I've already tried uninstalling and removing ALL of the folders, but maybe I'll try again with the latest beta (installing that alone did not resolve the issue).

To clarify once again, If I launch Yawcam as a program within my profile, it works indefinitely. I can stream without interruption for hours, and I never miss an email alert when motion is detected. However, if I run it as a service, the service stops after just a few minutes without any error or details left in the logs. This is very frustrating - I was really hoping it was just an issue with the cheap webcam I was using...but replacing it did not make any difference. :cry: