Yawcam streams with wifi but not wired, please help.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
matt

Yawcam streams with wifi but not wired, please help.

Post by matt »

I'll try to keep this short. I have a water pressure gauge that I need to be able to monitor 24/7 from anywhere. I have a logitech c270 webcam, Netgear wndr4300 router, and I am using the Yawcam software. UPNP is enabled on Yawcam and the netgear router and the port I need to stream (8081) is opened when Yawcam starts up, proven by the yawcam console as well as the interface of the router. Now here's the kicker. It will only open the port and allow internet access when I'm using wifi. I determined this as I was troubleshooting from a laptop. However, the location where I need a camera is used through a computer on the same network that is wired by ethernet and does not have wifi access. Yawcam is allowed through Windows Firewall as well. What am I doing wrong?

Port opens and feed is perfect on wifi but port closes as soon as ethernet is plugged in and hard wired to the network.
Last edited by matt on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z3r0c00l12

Re: Yawcam streams with wifi but not wired, please help.

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

My suggestion, because I've had some many issues with UPNP is to not rely on it. Your best bet will be to set a static IP Address on the computer running Yawcam, then manually port forward port 8081 in your router to the static IP Address you set. If you need instructions to port forward on the router, portforward.com likely has instructions.
matt

Post by matt »

I thought I could do that as well but my router only lets me port forward to a list of IP addresses it detects?
MA_Angel

Post by MA_Angel »

Not according to the WNDR4300 User Manual found at:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... pt2014.pdf

To setup static IP, read:

'Address Reservation' pg 42

To setup port forwarding, read:

'Add a Custom Service' pg 99

FYI.
matt

Post by matt »

I tried the above suggestion with no luck. I tried it several different ways. UPNP enabled on router and yawcam, disabled on yawcam, disabled on both, changed the ip in yawcam, etc...

I don't know how to get it to work. I have even tried to use ICS with a ethernet cord from the wifi accessible laptop to the ethernet port on the computer with the camera. Still no luck. :|
Last edited by matt on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MA_Angel

Post by MA_Angel »

This seems likely a router issue rather than with the Yawcam settings, as streaming works via WiFi according to your posts. Personally, I've never enabled or use UPNP. I've always just configured streaming manually via a static IP assignment and then port forwarding to that static IP. Just curious, how are you accessing the Yawcam stream--viewing from another PC on your LAN (i.e., http://192.168.1.5:8081), or a PC that's not connected to your LAN but via the WAN (i.e., http://[WAN_IP_or_DDNS_Host]:8081)?
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Looks like it's working. I can see your stream with the PlantPro gauge.
matt

Post by matt »

I got it working by running a 10ft. USB cord to my laptop and running it off of wifi. I realized that we are using 2 routers for whatever reason and that's why I couldn't get it working on wired. While the port was opened on the netgear, there was an Arris that was not. Realized that after the fact. Didn't try opening the ports on the Arris as this way is doing okay for what I need. By the way, how can you see it if I only supplied my local router ip and not the internet IP?

Thanks for all of the help by the way.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Good.

If you ever need help getting it to work through the wired connection, let me know.

Basically, you'd be forwarding as such:

Internet --> Netgear --> (IP address of Arris Router) --> Arris --> (IP address of the Yawcam computer) --> Yawcam computer