CAN YAWCAM RUN 3 USB WEBCAMS AT THE SAME TIME?

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
mangach

CAN YAWCAM RUN 3 USB WEBCAMS AT THE SAME TIME?

Post by mangach »

Hi I've been running two instances of yawcam each with a preview, each for a usb webcam with motion turned on. This has been working great and we wanted to add a 3rd usb cam to monitor another room, every time I try to bring up a third instance of yawcam and connect to the camera ie. camera # 3 it says unable to connect. Any suggestions I love this software but really need to have access to 3 cams at once?

Thank You
z3r0c00l12

Re: CAN YAWCAM RUN 3 USB WEBCAMS AT THE SAME TIME?

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

There should be no problems running 3 instances.

The only thing I can think of is that 2 of your webcams are the same brand/model and have the same name, which causes a conflict. If that's the case, try to install something like Manycam, point Manycam to your 3rd camera, then point Yawcam to Manycam's stream.
mangach

Post by mangach »

That's a great suggestion all 3 are the same make/model etc. Two work at the same time and the 3rd instance of yawcam works but it won't connect to the camera. I'm going to try this fix when I get home and will post the results. Thank you very much
mangach

Post by mangach »

So I'm thinking maybe the laptop I'm connecting the cams too isn't powerful enough to run 3 USB cams sadly enough. I've tried everything and it just seems to be that the laptop isn't powerful enough to connect to 3 of them I've tried a combination of software including manycam and it will only display two of the cams at the same time I can switch to th 3rd and see that it's working from one of the two working cams so I know its functional
If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome!
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

If it's a performance issue, did you try and see where the bottleneck is? Are you out of memory (RAM) (>70%)? Is your CPU hitting 100% often?

Are you sure you don't have 2 instances of Yawcam trying to connect to the same camera? That would explain why it can't connect.

If you aren't sure, try setting all 3 instances to manycam, if that works it's not a performance issue then.
mangach

Post by mangach »

Hi thanks for the reply, so the CPU usage shows to be upwards of about 89% consistently it moves around a bit. The memory also appears to be high and at the top of the graph so I assuming it's probably performance. I actually went and bought a different usb camera from the other three so I had two of the same make/model and a 3rd of a completely different make/model and it still didn't work. I can run two instances of yawcam and I can switch among the 3 cameras on either instance so I know they all work, but when I bring up that 3rd instance and try to connect to a 3rd camera it says can't connect, so I'm guessing it's performance, I'm stressed we needed a cheap security system for one of the houses we are fixing and the 3rd camera or instance to monitor another hallway would be sweet, I just think It's not possible with the laptop I have, but hope I'm wrong:)

Thank You!
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

You are probably right, if the CPU and memory usage are that high, it's likely that the laptop can't handle more than 2 instances.

I tested on a desktop and managed to get 3 instances running, so it's possible, you'll just need a newer/faster laptop.
mangach

Post by mangach »

Awesome thanks for testing it on a desktop that's the one thing I didn't do and really have come to the point where I'll just replace the laptop and be good I appreciate the help and feedback all good stuff!