Private IP ?

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
hobbles

Private IP ?

Post by hobbles »

Evenin all,
I had a friend try to see my web cam and he said he received the following,
"Link won't work Hobbles. It's a private IP that will only work from within your network as posted"
How is that fixed??
malun
Site Admin

Re: Private IP ?

Post by malun »

Let your friend use your external address instead of your private.
You find the external address by clicking:
Help -> What's my URL?

It will be the first addresses just below the text:
"When you are online other people can see your webcam on these addresses:"
that are your external addresses.

/malun
hobbles

Post by hobbles »

Afternoon malun,
When I go to "am I online" it shows the external address's and tells me I'm online. (green) When I go to "What's my url and click on either of the top 2, I get the "Unable to connect" screen. If I go to the bottom 2. (behind your router), they both work. The http one just shows a picture but the bottom one, Stream, shows a live view.
I had my provider fix my router it to where my ports are triggered and open.
My Wife and I can both log on and watch live, but we are both behind our router. (Comtrend AR-5381u) Any one else gets the time out or it just don't work. Any ideas?
hobbles

Post by hobbles »

Ok, i got it working. What I found out is any address that starts with 192 is private, so you can't use that one outside of your router. Yawcam gave me one that starts with 173 but no where did it tell me ->I<- had to ad the ":8081" to it. I did that and it seems to work now to where other people can see it.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

You are correct.

Your router gets your Public IP address from your Internet Service Provider (ISP), from there your router creates an internal (private) network that uses private IP addresses. There are multiple ranges of private IPs:
10.X.X.X
127.X.X.X (This is the loopback, it's private to each device)
172.16.X.X to 172.31.X.X
192.168.X.X

Those private IPs aren't reachable on the internet.

To get your Public IP address, you can search on Google for "What is my IP" and google will provide you with your public IP address and give you other sites that offer the same service.

For someone on the outside, your Public IP address by itself isn't enough to reach a specific service like Yawcam, you have to provide the port number as well. If in Yawcam you set the stream port to 8081, which is the default, then you need to append that such as ":8081". If your router is configured to port forward that port or has UPNP enabled, then your router will forward the packet accordingly. If your stream is working correctly now then you must have UPNP enabled and working properly.