Adding a third instance of Ver. 0.4.2 camera won't connect

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
rbert001

Adding a third instance of Ver. 0.4.2 camera won't connect

Post by rbert001 »

Hello All, I'm having this issue that I haven't been able to fix yet: I have 3 web cams (#1,#2 and #3) all of them are recognized by Yawcam and when I run the first instance of the app I can switch between any of them without any issue. If I run a second instance I can switch between the remaining 2 cams, as expected without any issue. However, when I run the third instance and switch to the third free cam I get the error message that I can't connect to the camera although it's not selected by any of the previous two instances of the application. I already tried replicating three folders in "program files" with 3 config files without any success. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm having this problem for several weeks already.

Cheers,
malun
Site Admin

Re: Adding a third instance of Ver. 0.4.2 camera won't conne

Post by malun »

Are you using USB cameras?
It's common that the bandwidth on the USB port is to low if you connect multiple cameras on the same USB controller.
Try to connect the cameras to different USB ports (preferably both in the front and in the back of your computer), and see if that makes any difference.

You usually get the connection problems you describe when the USB controller is overloaded.

/malun
rbert001

Post by rbert001 »

Thanks for your reply Malun. You're right I think that's the issue. Unfortunately is a kind of old computer (1.7 Ghz, 1 G Ram) with only three available usb ports which are located all together. I tried with an external usb hub having the same result (logically !!).
I reckon I'm left with no options than having only 2 cams or replacing the old laptop.

Cheers,
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

It usually helps to reduce the image size.

Try this:
1) Start Yawcam instance #1.
2) Select camera #1 by clicking "Change to device..." and choose the format with the smallest image size.
3) Start Yawcam instance #2.
4) Select camera #2 by clicking "Change to device..." and choose the format with the smallest image size.
5) Start Yawcam instance #3.
6) Select camera #3 by clicking "Change to device..." and choose the format with the smallest image size.

Could you connect to all cameras?
If so, then try to make the size bigger step by step again until you find the limit.

/malun