Slow FPS using JS outside firewall

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
dmlester

Slow FPS using JS outside firewall

Post by dmlester »

Hello,

Love Yawcam, been using it for years. However, I can't get my public FPS to go over 2 FPS at best. If I view the camera from inside my firewall, it's great. Outside, it looks like stop-motion. Now, here's the strange part. If I switch to MJPEG, it works great, LAN or WAN! But, then I lose my IE viewers. (I'm sure there aren't many.) Is there a way to get JS to behave the same way MJPEG does? Am I missing a setting somewhere? I have plenty of bandwidth, so I'm not sure why the firewall side is causing the issue.

Thanks so much!
|)ave
malun
Site Admin

Re: Slow FPS using JS outside firewall

Post by malun »

The big difference here is that MJPEG will keep one connection open to transfer the image data.
While the javascript will sequentially open multiple connections to pull the data.

It is possible that your firewall/router is limiting the number of connections during a certain time frame.
A hint could be to look at the Quality Of Service (QoS) and see if you find anything interesting...

/malun
dmlester

Post by dmlester »

Excellent! Thank you for the reply.

I've looked all through my router, and noticed that "session control" is completely disabled. I've tried turning it on and adding my port to the "priority" list, but that didn't help. Sadly, this router is an upgrade from my last one, which also had the same issue. Short of putting my server on a DMZ port, I'm out of ideas.

Thanks again! You were the first one who could explain the difference to me.
dmlester

Post by dmlester »

I've tweaked everything I know to tweak, and still no joy. :( JS just doesn't do a smooth stream through my router. Has anyone out there had this issue and was able to fix it? If not, is there a work around? (Get IE to work with MJPEG, or something?)

Thanks!
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas.

You might be able to get IE to show a MJPEG stream if you use some ActiveX component.
But I guess that would involve some security questions or settings in the viewer's browser before it could work :(

The good thing is that the new browser (that eventually will replace IE), Microsoft Edge, has support for MJPEG.
But it will probably take a while before most IE users adopt Edge...

/malun