Suggestion for additional %variable

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
zebra300760

Suggestion for additional %variable

Post by zebra300760 »

Greetings.

I have a suggestion for an additional variable that can be placed in the Text overlay.

Say %X = Duration.Motion.Tolerance.Sensitivity

These are the values shown in the Motions Event screen and could be shown simply as:

I currently set this as an external variable file, excluding Motion%, to ensure this info gets placed on the capture motion image but I have to remember to modify the file if I change the values.

Also, maybe another variable that shows a incrementing count of the number of captured motion pictures since last startup. It can also then be displayed on the image. I currently use an external VB program to keep track of this, however, I don't reset on bootup (which I prefer). This counter gives a visual reference, especially when you migrate the images to a MOV file.
malun
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for additional %variable

Post by malun »

zebra300760 wrote:Say %X = Duration.Motion.Tolerance.Sensitivity
It's a good idea, but it has some problems.
The duration and motion (that in fact is the maximum motion during all the time the motion occurs) is calculated after the motion has ended. However the actions is triggered and started when the first image frame exceeds the tolerance. At this time the duration and maximum motion has not yet been calculated.
I have to start the actions right away. Otherwise they would not capture the motion but what happened after the motion ;)

The only solution I can think of right now is to buffer the images in the actions and add the overlay later when the motion has ended and when the values are calculated. Then save/upload/email the images (with a correct overlay) afterwards.

This solution would need a lot of the code to be re-written though... and I have other things with higher priority on the TODO-list right now.

Do you have any suggestions for an easier and better solution for the problem?

I could add a variable for the motion value that actually triggered the motion. This would not be the maximum motion but the motion in the first image that triggered the action. Could that be useful?

Variables for tolerance and sensitivity is not a problem. Neither is a variable for an incremental counter.

/malun
zebra300760

Post by zebra300760 »

By the sounds of it, its a lot of work. Don't do a code-rewrite just for me :roll:

I would rather have the speed and accuracy of capturing a image more than the values of motion and duration. At least it was a thought.

The sensitivity and tolerance would be great as at least they give you an overlay reminder of what they were set for at the time of image capture, for fine tuning in a windy environment.

An incrementing counter would be icing on the cake for inclusion into a MOV.

/Peter
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Try this beta version:
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/Yawcam_BETA_2007-03-31.exe

It has the overlay variables:

Code: Select all

%mdinfM  =  Motion that triggered the event
%mdinfT  =  Tolerance
%mdinfS  =  Sensitivity
%mdCNTR  =  Counter for motion events (reseted at startup)
%mdCNTRnoReset = Counter for motion events (not reseted)
(It also has a fix so that the timestamps in the file name is more accurate in the file/ftp/email actions.)

/malun
zebra300760

Post by zebra300760 »

Downloaded, implemented and looking very good.

Thankyou
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Good. Nice to hear.

/malun