Problem with signed applet usage

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
mathieu

Post by mathieu »

My goal is to have the streaming working from an external browser (not in the LAN where my webcam server is running)

I tried from outside of the LAN and I'm using a web proxy (no choice) for accessing the streaming server.

For that I used an HTML page with the signed applet referenced in it.

From this browser (behind the proxy), the page could be retreived, the signed applet could be loaded, then I got an exception telling me that the destination could not be reached (it was the good destination, as I entered it in the Straming/advanced checkbox textfield, and I check in the java console the exception message).

I could load the page -> proxy conf of the browser is ok
Conf of browser for proxies are used by applets executed in the browsers, and access from applets to the server theu come from is by default enabled (was the case) so

My question is: why could'nt I access the streaming host from the applet ?
Any clue ?

Thx

PS access through port number 8081 used for the test is authorised by firewall of the LAN either in UDP or TCP...
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

My question is: why couldn't I access the streaming host from the applet ?
Hmmm... Good question ;-)

If you don't want to publish the url to your site here, please send me an e-mail with it and I'll take a look and see if I can find anything...

One question: Do you use some kind of router?

/malun
mathieu

Post by mathieu »

By the way, it is not running at this time, I did that for testing purpose for futher usage, but I can configure it for testing purpose, I'll let you know when server is available when done.

Yes I've got a hardware firewall/router and the port used was enabled and forwarded to the right machine (webcam machine), either in TCP or UDP.

My understanding is that, for streaming config, you use the defined HTTP port (TCP) for enabling the HTML page retrieval, but I guess the applet, once downloaded, try to access the same port, but this time in UDP to retrieve video stream. Is that correct ? What is the way the applet works ?
malun
Site Admin

Re: Problem with signed applet usage

Post by malun »

mathieu wrote:My understanding is that, for streaming config, you use the defined HTTP port (TCP) for enabling the HTML page retrieval
Correct!
mathieu wrote:, but I guess the applet, once downloaded, try to access the same port, but this time in UDP to retrieve video stream. Is that correct ? What is the way the applet works ?
Actually the image data also is sent over TCP. The current algorithm doesn't allow any data loss so I can't use UDP.

/malun