Motion detection and outdoor webcam? Possible?

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Helge

Motion detection and outdoor webcam? Possible?

Post by Helge »

Until now I have only used motions detection oncce with an indoor webcam for security purposes. Today I have testet just a little bit with motion detection on one of my outdoor cameraes running Yawcam.

It seem to me MUCH more difficult (almost impossible?) to get an acceptable balance between motion detection sensivity and not to trigger on unwanted changes like sudden sunlight variations etc.

Even with Yawcam set to 50% and 50% I randomly get FTP upload of image triggered (MANY pr day) by what seems to me to be no motion at all in terms of moving cars, animals or people. None of the mentioned visible. With tolerance and sensivity set as "unsensitive" as 50 and 50% motion is very shortly registered up towards 90 % when I see nothing unusual in the image...?

Date: 2008-02-13
Time: 12:25:08
Duration: 500ms
Motion: 83%
Tolerance: 50%
Sensitivity: 50%
lgRich

Re: Motion detection and outdoor webcam? Possible?

Post by lgRich »

Helge wrote:Until now I have only used motions detection oncce with an indoor webcam for security purposes. Today I have testet just a little bit with motion detection on one of my outdoor cameraes running Yawcam.

It seem to me MUCH more difficult (almost impossible?) to get an acceptable balance between motion detection sensivity and not to trigger on unwanted changes like sudden sunlight variations etc.

Even with Yawcam set to 50% and 50% I randomly get FTP upload of image triggered (MANY pr day) by what seems to me to be no motion at all in terms of moving cars, animals or people. None of the mentioned visible. With tolerance and sensivity set as "unsensitive" as 50 and 50% motion is very shortly registered up towards 90 % when I see nothing unusual in the image...?
I have exactely the same problem with my outdoor camera.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Try to experiment with the detection area and see if that helps.
If you expect movement in a special area of the image it's usually better to specify this area and then have a low tolerance.

/malun
lgRich

Post by lgRich »

malun wrote:Try to experiment with the detection area and see if that helps.
If you expect movement in a special area of the image it's usually better to specify this area and then have a low tolerance.

/malun
During the last week I have tried all the combination setting without success…
stubee

Post by stubee »

I think the solution would require more technical options be added to the program.

A linux based webcam progam called "Motion", overcomes these types of situations by using features such as: Minimum Motion Frames.

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Mo ... ion_frames

'course I'm sure it's probably pretty difficult to import some of these features..although on the plus side, Motion is opensource so the code is there.
Helge

Post by Helge »

malun wrote:Try to experiment with the detection area and see if that helps. If you expect movement in a special area of the image it's usually better to specify this area and then have a low tolerance.
Well the image area of this particular outdoor camera is pretty much only my own garden and driveway in front of my vacation house. I can see that I should avoid to get trees and bushes in the detaction area (movement due to wind) but except for that nothing should really move unless somebody is walking or driving into my driveway/garden. Though, experimenting with motion detection yesterday and a few minues today - it has been almost no wind.