System Reqs

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
brentan

System Reqs

Post by brentan »

I know throughout the forums you say you really dont know how much memory this thing uses...but:

Im hoping to use yawcam to stream video from a camera looking at the front door of my bldg to people on the 5th floor (aka me). I have the oppertunity to get an older laptop from a bud for free....but its only

300 mhz with 64 MB RAM
i will be runnin winXP on it.
the computer would be dedicated to solely running yawcam and would have nothing else running.

will this be good enough for streaming, even if at a lower quality (say 50%)? What would you recommend as a minimum system req or at the very least what types of systems have people tested this on and had it work successfully?

thanks,
brentan
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

As you say, I don't really know what the system requirement is for Yawcam.
I don't have access to so many computers that I can test it, and I think it is very hard to calculate.
All I know is that Yawcam requires a lot more CPU and memory than you first believe...

The laptop you are planning to use is probably a bit to slow, but it might be acceptable when you are running the computer as a dedicated webcam server. The amount of memory could cause problems... I have only tested Yawcam with at least 128 mb of memory.

But the system requirements depends on the settings in Yawcam. Use of a smaller image size will need lower system requirements. You can also experiment with the image quality.

I would not recommend a larger image size than 320x240 for the laptop you are planning to use. Even this might be to big...

But borrow the laptop, install Yawcam and test how it works.
Experiment a bit with the settings and see if you can find a configuration that works.

And... let us know how it goes...

/malun