Run as service

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
hogriderj

Run as service

Post by hogriderj »

First off, I have to say you have a wonderful product. I have read some of the threads which touch on running as a service. I have a WinXP Pro machine, and if I log off with my user account, the Webcam also stops. I would think that running as a service would work then, even when I am not logged in. However, I don't see the options available in the All Programs\YamCam\Services folder. In fact, the Services folder does not exist. Can I install the service from somewhere within the root of where Yawcam was installed?
tellmewhy

Post by tellmewhy »

You sure you have the latest version ?
Download and install the latest version here : Yawcam BETA 2007-06-11.
Once you installed this,
You will see the start menu options for Yawcam like this :

See also this thread >>>> Yawcam - What is a service and how do I run Yawcam as one? <<<< at my forum.
hogriderj

Post by hogriderj »

Thanks. That worked.
hogriderj

Post by hogriderj »

I am exploring this "run as service" again. I noticed when I log off my xp machine, the service does not continue to run. Is there a way in the MMC or somewhere in Yawcam to keep this running even when the user account is logged off?
tellmewhy

Post by tellmewhy »

Never tested this, but you can try to create a task in Windows.
How to do this ?
See this thread : Windows Vista - Creating a task in .... on my forum.
The task is about Windows Vista but i'm sure you can do the same in WindowsXP.
jsignal

Service stops when I log out.

Post by jsignal »

Hello,

I am using Yawcam 0.3.2 on WinXP Pro. It works perfectly, even as a service, so long as I am logged in. Once I log out, the service stops. I cannot figure out why.

The Event Viewer simply says it enters the stopped state. I chose, in Yawcam settings, to create a log (in the logs directory, according to the readme file), but it does not. So I am not seeing any errors, unless there is somewhere else to look.

I tried running it as an administrative user and as the system user, but both had the same result. Once I log off, the service stops.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Jason
hogriderj

Re: Service stops when I log out.

Post by hogriderj »

jsignal wrote:Hello,

I am using Yawcam 0.3.2 on WinXP Pro. It works perfectly, even as a service, so long as I am logged in. Once I log out, the service stops. I cannot figure out why.

The Event Viewer simply says it enters the stopped state. I chose, in Yawcam settings, to create a log (in the logs directory, according to the readme file), but it does not. So I am not seeing any errors, unless there is somewhere else to look.

I tried running it as an administrative user and as the system user, but both had the same result. Once I log off, the service stops.

Thank you,
Jason
Jason, I had the same problem. I think if you update to the latest version that this solved the problem. I have not updated yet and keep myself logged in. I am using a USB-connected Logitech cam on my page to accomplish this on an old laptop computer. It is used for nothing but displaying the webcam.

I have not made the plunge yet and updated in order to take advantage of the run as service feature.

Let's see what other replies say.

Jeff
http://schulze.homedns.org/webcam.html
generiq

Re: Service stops when I log out.

Post by generiq »

I'm having the same issue as jsignal and hogrider, and also posted all the details of my issue here - but so-far I have not received a response: http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4304

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this, but frustrated that I can't get it working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
hogriderj wrote:
jsignal wrote:Hello,

Thank you,
Jason
Jason, I had the same problem. I think if you update to the latest version that this solved the problem. I have not updated yet and keep myself logged in. I am using a USB-connected Logitech cam on my page to accomplish this on an old laptop computer. It is used for nothing but displaying the webcam.

I have not made the plunge yet and updated in order to take advantage of the run as service feature.

Let's see what other replies say.

Jeff
http://schulze.homedns.org/webcam.html