Two beta version problems

Beta versions of Yawcam will be announced in this section. You are also welcome to discuss the beta versions in here.
Helge

Two beta version problems

Post by Helge »

Using Yawcam_BETA_2007-02-05.exe
After installing this betaversion it seems much faster and better than the 0.2.6 version (SUPERB - thanks). This betaversion find the Creative Live Motion webcam much faster than 0.2.6 and uploads image arrays faster with FTP etc etc.

Problem 1: Yawcam will not start after reboot of the two webcam PC's. I have so far not managed to start Yawcam again before uninstall and reinstall of the software. Then it works again. This seems to be the same problem as also reported by other user(s).

Problem 2: Yawcam does not find (a connected) webcam after accidentally starting Yawcam with no webcam connected. On two different PC's, I have made the error of starting Yawcam without any webcam connected. On both these PC's Yawcam worked fine and found the webcam on first startup. Later on I forgot to connect a webcam before starting Yawcam. After reconnecting the webcam, Yawcam do not find the camera any more. Even after a reboot of the PC Yawcam do not find the webcam.
Last edited by Helge on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helge

Post by Helge »

After some more troubleshooting I have found that Yawcam did not start normally after a reboot of my two webcam PC's. Opening Task manager I could see the process javaw taking up quite much memory but Yawcam did not start. Terminating javaw and trying to restart Yawcam did only repeat this process. For some reason unclear to me, renaming or deleting the settings file (yawcam_settings.xml) do however seem to fix the problem so yawcam starts and works fine...... except for the fact that entering all the setup details when this happens is then again somewhat annoying.
Helge

Post by Helge »

Now I have tried on a third computer.... same result: rebooting the computer causes this betaversion of Yawcam not to start (until the settings file are deleted). The three computers are 3 GHz 1 GB RAM, 1 GHz 384 MB RAM and 733 MHz 384 MB RAM - all running WinXP pro.

What do I change in the settings from the default settings?

Only:

Connection: remove the 2 checkboxes

Output FTP: setting up my FTP account and an image array of 48 images in intervals of 1800 sec ( = 30 minutes)

Overlay Text: transparancy from 50% to 75 %

Startup: Only checkbox left filled is Start FTP at startup

I hope this problem can be solved since this version of Yawcam seems better in all other ways - not at least much better and faster to detect/find the webcam and faster on image array uploads.
Helge

Post by Helge »

Have I found the error? ....or at least something closely relatetd to the error? I guess I have rebooted one of my PC's at least 12 times. What did I find out?

Well I started from scracth with a fresh install (default) settings file. Then I step by step changed diffent settings, stored a backup/copy of the settings file for every step and rebooted.
- removed filled checkboxes in connection
- changed transparancy in Overlay text
- entered my FTP account information and image array data
- etc etc

Yawcam starts fine every time.... UNTIL I filled the checkbox for Start Ftp output in "Startup". Then.... javaw.exe grabs about 30 to 40 MB memory and Yawcam does not start after reboot anymore. I terminated javaw.exe process, copied back the last backup of the settings file (exactly the same except for Start Ftp output NOT checked) and yes, Yawcam starts again. Enter setup.... fill in StartFtp output checkbox, reboot - nope, Yawcam does not start. Terminating the javaw.exe process and copying back the settings file without Start Ftp output checked - yes.... Yawcam starts.

Here is my copies of the working settings file (without Start Ftp output checked) :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<java version="1.6.0" class="java.beans.XMLDecoder">
<object class="yawcam.SettingsHolder">
<void property="conIPAtStart">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="conPublicIP">
<string>"MY IP"</string>
</void>
<void property="conUpnp">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="firstTime">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>

# My FTP accout settings removed

<void property="pos_main">
<object class="java.awt.Point">
<int>722</int>
<int>57</int>
</object>
</void>
<void property="s_check">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="s_prev">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="s_splash">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="transp">
<void index="0">
<float>0.25</float>
</void>
</void>
</object>
</java>

...and the "not working" settings file with Start Ftp output checked :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<java version="1.6.0" class="java.beans.XMLDecoder">
<object class="yawcam.SettingsHolder">
<void property="cam">
<int>2</int>
</void>
<void property="conPublicIP">
<string>"MY IP"</string>
</void>
<void property="firstTime">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>

# My FTP accout settings removed

<void property="pos_main">
<int>765</int>
<int>22</int>
</object>
</void>
<void property="pos_prev">
<int>176</int>
<int>19</int>
</object>
</void>
<void property="s_check">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="s_ftp_o">
<boolean>true</boolean>
</void>
<void property="s_prev">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="s_splash">
<boolean>false</boolean>
</void>
<void property="transp">
<void index="0">
<float>0.25</float>
</void>
</void>
</object>
</java>
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Helge wrote:Have I found the error?
Yes you have :D

Or actually you helped me find five errors related to one bug :wink:

I had built in a new bug that made all the "start output at startup"-functions crash Yawcam at startup.

I'll make a fix available for download as soon as possible.
Try it and see if it helps.

Many thanks for tracking down the error!

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Please let me know how this version works:
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/Yawcam_BETA_2007-03-03.exe

/malun
Helge

Post by Helge »

malun wrote:Please let me know how this version works:
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/Yawcam_BETA_2007-03-03.exe

/malun
The problem with Yawcam not starting after PC reboot when Start Ftp output is checked.... seem to have gone now. Great :D
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Perfect.

Do you still have the problem described as problem #2 in your first post? Have you tried the function "Settings -> Detect webcam..." in the text menu when Yawcam can't find your camera?

/malun