repeated/frozen image mystery

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
malun
Site Admin

Re: repeated/frozen image mystery

Post by malun »

Thanks for checking back.
No, You are right. I don't need your repeated frames. I will manage with my own :-)

I'm working on a solution. You will get a new beta version to try out. Hopefully this weekend.
I'm a bit short of "yawcam-time" this week...

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Okay, now there is a new beta version you can try out.
Grab it from:
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3459

This version fixes the problem for me at least :wink:
Please, let us know how it works for you.

/malun
neutron68

Post by neutron68 »

I tried the new BETA version 2013-03-06 (with the javarendering.txt file in place) for about an hour Saturday afternoon, and still got a few duplicated frames.
The first duplicated frame was frame 04. The next duplicated frame was frame 053. The next was 060.

Eric
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Thanks for reporting back!
I'm sorry that version didn't fix the problem for you.
There is a timing issue involved in this problem. When the camera has been paused and gets started again, it will take some time before it is fully initialized and starts producing fresh images. This time will be different on different systems. I thought I had extended the time for initialization enough...

Hopefully the beta version should reduce the problem and occur less often than before? But apparently this doesn't work good enough and I might have to attack the problem with a different approach. I'll see what I can do.

/malun
neutron68

Post by neutron68 »

I will test the beta version further. My first test was pretty short.

The good news is that 1 image didn't get frozen for a hour or more, like in the past.
That seems like progress!

Eric
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Okay, you will now find a new beta version here:
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3525

Make sure that the option:
"Settings -> Edit settings... -> Startup -> Enable device error monitor"
is enabled.

Yawcam will then wait (after the device i woken up) until fresh images are produced again before grabbing the image.
The waiting time will be at maximum 3 seconds. Hopefully that is enough.

Another change is that this version will not put the device in sleep mode if the interval for FTP or FILE is 30 seconds or less.

/malun
neutron68

Post by neutron68 »

I tried the 3-26-2013 beta version, this afternoon.
I set the controls as you asked in the previous post.

I set Yawcam for 1 frame per minute, as before.
There was 1 repeated frame at frame number 59 (it was a repeat of frame 58). I didn't see any more until frame 320.
Frame 320 was a repeat of 319, and every frame after that was also a repeat of frame 319...until I stopped Yawcam.

Eric
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Thanks for the report!
Sounds like we are closer, but that 3 seconds as max waiting isn't enough.
It would be interesting to see the debug log from your last run. Did you run in debug mode?

/malun
neutron68

Post by neutron68 »

No, I didn't run in debug mode yesterday. I can run another test in debug mode today.

You've never seen the "repeat frame forever" problem at your location?
That one is the most crippling as a day-long time lapse movie gets ruined.

Eric
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

You could give this new beta version a try:
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/yawcam_BETA_2013-04-14.exe

I have extended the max waiting time to 15 seconds in that one.

I'm afraid I don't get the "repeat frame forever" on my location. I can however force that situation by unplugging the network cable to my network camera for a short period.
The "Device error monitor" introduced in version 0.4.0 should overcome problems like that but only as long as the camera isn't put to sleep. If only File output is enabled and the interval is longer than 30 seconds the camera will be put in sleep mode to save CPU usage between the images are taken. If you enable Http output or open a preview window (can be minimized) or set the interval to 30 seconds or less, the camera will not be put into sleep and the "Device error monitor" should do the work.

I might have to consider not putting the camera in sleep mode... or at lease provide an option for it. I'll have to think about that.

/malun
neutron68

Post by neutron68 »

For now, I'm running a test of 3-26-2013 with the debug on. I've seen 3 repeated frames out of 90.
Should I let it go and see if there is any data in the log if I see the "repeated frame forever" problem later this afternoon?

After this test, I will get the newest beta version with the 15 second wait.
Eric
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Yes, please let it continue. Then we can compare logs from version 2013-03-26 and 2013-04-14 after the second test.
Thanks!
/malun
neutron68

Post by neutron68 »

I let it continue with debugging on.
At frame 308, the "repeat frame forever" started, so we have the log for that event.

I just emailed you the debug file, malun.

Eric
maucoimbra

Post by maucoimbra »

Was there any solution to this case? My yawcam is having the same problem, it records several repeated images and keeps repeating for hours.

This happened after I ran the spyhunter 4 program to remove a bad spaware on my computer, I already tried to reinstall yawcam several times to see if it solves but something tells me that the problem has been fixed in my registry.

I'm using the latest version available.

Sorry for my bad english, using translator.

Thank you,

Mauricio.
cappyb

Post by cappyb »

Is there a solution to this problem yet? This program is great! When it works. If I run it 5 times a week at least 2 of those times at some random day and random time it will stop putting up new images to my ftp site and repeat the same image with a new time stamp over and over until I get home and stop it and restart the computer. I have to reboot to get it working right again. It's usually the repeating image thing but every now and then it stops putting up images from the camera and puts up an image that says no device selected.