bug in streaming applet?

Report and discuss bugs here!
yodahead

bug in streaming applet?

Post by yodahead »

Trying out Yawcam for a backyard webcam to monitor swimming pool construction. I am able to see a still photo in the web browser just fine. Having trouble though w/ streaming in the java applet.

The streaming webpage loads (I see text above and below the picture block), but then I receive an error message (Error, pls reload) inside of the gray java picture block.

Any ideas? I am using a router, but have opened up the appropriate ports and have even tried bypassing the router, but no luck.

I have also tried it on 2 different pc's w/ 3 different video capture sources (WinTV pci, IBM pc camera & Logitech QuickCam). Same problem with all.

Other than this hiccup w/ the streaming, Yawcam is nice and easy to work with. :D

Any help would be appreciated.
yodahead

Post by yodahead »

Since original post, I have successfully streamed into the java applet on a webpage. I bypassed the router as I had done before. Not sure why it worked this time and not before. Now I have to determine how to configure my router to allow the video stream through.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

When using a router you have to redirect two ports on the router (the new version of Yawcam will only need one port).
But you also have to change the stream settings in Yawcam. Select "Advanced" and typ in your public address in the field "Force public ip".

These steps should do it :wink:

I'm not sure if you got it working now or not...
yodahead wrote:Now I have to determine how to configure my router to allow the video stream through.
What did you mean by this?

Good Luck!
/malun
yodahead

Post by yodahead »

what I meant was I got it to work after connecting straight from the cable modem to my network card (taking the router out of the loop).

I saw the advanced option of forcing public ip and thought I had tried that already - will try again. I am also allowing ports 8081 (connect) and 8021 (data) to pass through the router.

Why does the http (snapshot) option work without having to force the public ip address?

Also, the streaming web page does load, it's only the java portion that won't go through.

Thanks,

Kurt
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Check the HTML source on your stream page. If it looks like this:

Code: Select all

<APPLET CODE=YawApplet.class WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240">
      <param name="Host" value="192.168.1.105">
      <param name="Port" value="8021">
</APPLET>
where host has an ip-address on the format 192.168.x.x something is wrong.
Then you have to select "Advanced" and typ in your public address in "Force public ip".
yodahead wrote:Why does the http (snapshot) option work without having to force the public ip address?
Well, It has to do with the applet. The Http doesn't use one :wink:
Seriously, The applet need to know where it can fetch the image data. The url and port number is passed to the applet via the html file.
Yawcam writes this to the html file, but don't know what the computer's public address is, so it guesses on the ip-address of the network card. This will be a wrong guess if you are sitting behind a router.
But you can tell yawcam the right public address. This is done bye selecting advanced and force yawcam to write the public address in the html file.
I hope this not so good explanation was understandable :wink:

/malun
yodahead

Post by yodahead »

Got it to work now. As you said, I had to force the public ip address. Thanks for the help. :D

Kurt