Suggestion: Trigger single-shot

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Bonzo

Suggestion: Trigger single-shot

Post by Bonzo »

I'd love to see a way to trigger a shot.

Maybe use a "webservice" perhaps?
"http://yacamcomputer:8888/trigger.jpg" could be one way to do it.

Another might be to look for "trigger.txt" in a folder.
Snap the picture, delete the txt file.
The .NET framework has a filesystem monitor that can raise events like this.
I'd be surprised if a Java equivalent didn't exist.

A websocket, soap, DLL file, .bat file or any other way is just fine!
What I'm trying to say, is that it doesn't matter much HOW I can trigger a shot, as long as I can.

I've got hardware/software monitoring my doorbell, and I'd like to be able to trigger a snapshot when someone is at the door.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

This seems like a nice suggestion, I'd like to see how many people would use this feature, but it certainly sounds like a nice to have.
olli84

Post by olli84 »

sounds very nice. Would be very helpful for me. :)
Bonzo

Any idea if this will ever get voted on?

Post by Bonzo »

Or even considered by Malun?
memoric

Post by memoric »

I like this suggestion too, I could use that feature.
fredyfire

Re: Suggestion: Trigger single-shot

Post by fredyfire »

This would be great. Triggering a shot would help me allot running Yawcam with my weatherstation. Please implement this feature.

Thanks for this great software.

FF
Bobsa

Post by Bobsa »

I could use a Single-shot Trigger in my image measuring application. Please implement it. Thank you.
BrianH

Re: Suggestion: [External] Trigger of single-shot

Post by BrianH »

Yes to this feature!

I use Yawcam to monitor people who arrive at my front door, but due to the nature of the location
(swaying trees, cars, moving shadows, camera noise at low light conditions) there is no way to reliably
position the camera and the motion detection feature without getting too many photos or too few.

I want to make a device that will detect someone approaching the front door perhaps by an optical
beam broken (something like elevator door sensors) - or the doorbell button pressed (or both!)
Interface this to the PC (with an Arduino / USB / HTTP ??). The only missing part is how to get this to
trigger Yawcam to trigger and take the picture - or brief video. Not sure what the best interface
to Yawcam would be - preferably language independent. HTTP would be a very flexible way of doing
this. If a connection is made to a particular URL, trigger the motion detection event.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
-Brian
jfpayeur

Post by jfpayeur »

I'm looking to do the exact same thing , but for a different purpose !

I'm beginning at 3d Printing ,
see http://reprap.org/
and I've play alot with Yawcam before

I've done alot of time-laps in the past, but I just dont want to bother with the cludge of having a dedicated DSRL and manage the DSRL powering and not talking about managing the memory cards.
I just want to automate the hole thing

Having a way to triger a photo with Serial-Port / Arduino / USB / Presence of a file / Anything would be soo usefull !!!
I could the control my 3d printer to "show" the partially build piece a every printed layer, and triger a 12v signal (or watherver else) to take a photo at this precise moment

For now I could do it with trigering a led on the corner of the screen and only motion-detect this zone. (could be and idea for other people out-there)
But having a "cleanner" solution would be nice !
dmumma

Post by dmumma »

This would really be very useful! I would like to take single shot pictures at various times using "Windows Scheduler" and having a little program/file that would trigger a "single shot" would be fantastic. Then I could create my own schedule when pictures should be taken.