Eyetoy webcam doesn't show up as a choice

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Laughing Man

Eyetoy webcam doesn't show up as a choice

Post by Laughing Man »

On my old computer I've used this software and it detected my eyetoy webcam just fine. (it was a single core AMD Barton). And I could use it. But I'm on my new computer now (Dual core Opteron) and Yawcam doesn't detect my webcam despite me installing the drivers for it. I've checked using other video capturing programs and it sees the webcam just fine.

All it lists under webcams to select is "Microsoft WDM capture....". And I tried using that and preview and it shows black.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Which version of Yawcam are you running?
If you are running the latest beta version you coud try the "Settings -> Select source" option. This is a bit experimental though, and doesn't work with all devices. But give it a try!

/malun
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

I tried that but nothing happens.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Do you have any more capture devices connected to your computer?
It could be another webcam, a TV-card or some additional driver software like DVdriver or webcamDV...

/malun
Dgardner

Eye Toy

Post by Dgardner »

Hey everyone, New guy here

I just wanted to pipe in on this-

I am using an Eye Toy and the lastest release of Yawcam, (Build 2006-04-10 Vers 0.2.67) and I am working just fine. (for stream and HTTP anyway - I don't use the other modes)

Yawcam identifies my camera as:
wfw:MICROSOFT WDN Image Capture (Win32)0:wfw:/0

I understand there are several different models of the Eye Toy out there though, My model of Eye Toy is SLEH-00031

hope this helps
dgardner[/code]
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

Yes that's what it identifies it as I guess. But it just shows black. And yes I have a TV tuner in my PC.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Laughing Man wrote:And yes I have a TV tuner in my PC.
There we have the problem then! Yawcam usually get confused when there are many capture devices to choose from.

But stay tuned... I have an updated version of the "select source" function that should work better with several capture devices. I'll put a an update in this thread soon.

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Okey, you can now get an update from here:
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/yawcam_source_fix.zip

The "select source" function is now a bit shaky and makes Yawcam crash once in a while. I'm calling functions I'm not supposed to do to get this dialog appear :shock:

But hopefully you only need to call it once to change your capture source. And if Yawcam crashes just restart and try it again.

/malun
Last edited by malun on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

I just tried it and it found the webcam but it still shows blackness. I'm thinking I should just replug it in and reinstall the drivers.
Dgardner

Eyetoy

Post by Dgardner »

I know you are going to find this strange, but I had a couple of days when my Preview was all black - while playing with it I found that I was still actually transmitting.

I also found that if I selected Capture it worked(and I could see what I captured).

I think the cause was I chose Select Source (experimental) just to see what it did, I went back through Edit Setting and selected all the setting again and it worked ok from them on

dgardner
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

:shock: It works now! Thank you!
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Ah, good to hear. Was it the re-installation of drivers that solved the problem?

/malun
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

It was Dgardner's instructions when he reported the same problem with his webcam just showing black.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Perfect :D