Connection to Stream over Internet

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Wingnut

Connection to Stream over Internet

Post by Wingnut »

Hi. Great software; I've got most of it to work ok including motion detection with email notification and local area streaming through wireless router. (I'm using the latest beta version)

The bit I just can't get working is streaming and HTTP over the internet.

I am in the UK and use Tesco Broadband using a BT phone line. The router is a Netgear DG834PN. I have a desktop PC which has the camera and YAWCAM on it and a laptop that I have been testing the local streaming with. All that works ok.

But when I try to connect to the IP:8081 address as given by Yawcam, I just get "IE cannot display the webpage".

Other clues that might help someone diagnose my problem are:

Yawcam gives x.y.z.5 as my IP but going on to www.portforwarding says it's x.y.z.4 I've tried both and neither work.

When I run the connection test the 8081 is ok (on x.y.z.5:8081) but errors on x.y.z.5:8888.

The router has UPNP and I've noticed that it displays the portforwarding rules when Yawcam is running. I have also entered the services and firewall rules that do the same thing (i think) (8081 TCP/UDP and 8888 just TCP). Are they conflicting?

The router tells me that the external IP address is a totally different number.

Any help welcomed. or how about tests I could run like a ping.

Anyone know of some decent P2P software that will run over a VPN between my and my partner's houses?

Ta
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Usually the routers don't have such loopback that you will be able to connect to yourself on your public ip from inside your local network.

Thats why I created the function "Help -> Am I online?" to be able to check if the settings are correct without asking a friend.

If you run "Help -> Am I online?", do you get OK on stream (8081) and Error on Http (8888)?

Some Internet service providers block certain port numbers. If it's only 8888 that doesn't work for you, try to change to another port. (Settings -> Edit settings... -> Http)

If you don't want to publish the url to your webcam here, you can send me an email on malun [at] yawcam [dot] com, and I can see if I can help you further from there.

/malun
2bfree

Post by 2bfree »

I had that same problem...
I had enabled the http but not the stream in the control panel...
Once I enabled both, I no longer had errors...
I hope this helps. :oops:
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Malun

The "Am I online" did report an error on 8888 but was ok on 8081. I've changed to 8088 and now both report ok.

The IP that's being reported is xxx.255.0.4. I've tried that with no sucess.

Interestingly, other "What's my IP" type sites give different last digits (ie not 4) ranging from 3-8. I think this is the address of my ISP's proxy server as my router's external IP is totally different. Some sites report that and tell me i'm behind a proxy server. One site even told me both and the IP of my PC on my LAN.

2bfree - both are enabled.

More help needed I think :(

Ta
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Hmm... If your ISP is so nasty that they put you behind a proxy it's possible that you won't be able to use the built-in webserver in Yawcam :(

Is your ISP called "Tesco Broadband"? Do they have a homepage with support or information?

Try this:
1) Go to the connection settings, and uncheck the boxes "Detect at startup" and "Detect every X minutes".
2) In the "Public IP" text field, enter the ip your Yawcam computer uses.
3) Click OK.
4) Now try the "Am I online?" check again.
What's the result?

/malun
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

malun

I unchecked the boxes and entered 192.168.0.3 as the address and ran the What's my URL.

It came back with both ok on the proxy servers IP of xxx.255.0.5

My router's external IP is totally different.

And it is Tesco broadband. And I've tried there support; they have not said it can't be done but have said they not give support for setting this sort of thing up. They have also said I cannot have a static IP address.

Any clues?
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Oh sorry, my mistake.
I wanted you to type in the external IP of your router in the "Public IP" field.

Can you give it another try with this new settings and run the "Am I online?" check again?

/malun
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Malun

No problem. I ran it like you said with my router's external IP ( 86.25.7.x)and it came back with ok for both on the proxy's xxx.255.0.5.

Then I thought maybe, because I hadn't closed the set up window the changes hadn't been set. So I closed/re openned and ran it again.

This time it came back with ok on both but with the router's external address.

I'm still using ports 8081 and 8088 as 8888 still returns an error.

Graham
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Have you asked anyone else to connect to
http://-your-router's-external-ip:8081

Can they see you on this address?

As I said before it is possible that you ISP doesn't give your computer a public address. That would make it impossible to use the built-in webserver in Yawcam.

Anyhow, ask your ISP if they give you a public ip or not. In other words on which address you can access your computer from the Internet.

/malun