Format Settings (resolution change desired)

Beta versions of Yawcam will be announced in this section. You are also welcome to discuss the beta versions in here.
ducmonster

Format Settings (resolution change desired)

Post by ducmonster »

:D Firstly, this software so rocks..... Magnus, 5 stars to you buddy....
Just upgraded to the Beta when i spotted the scheduling feature....yay
Didnt uninstall the old, just installed over the top and picked up the old settings(may be the reason for this problem :? )
Everything is cool except when I want to change the resolution, and select either Format control or device settings, nothing happens...

The default resolution is too small....

ps. I was able to change the resolution with the prev version....

Am I able to hack one of the xml or ini files to force 640 x 480 , or do u suggest soemthing else...

Thanks a million in advance..

Lester
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Uninstall Yawcam and then delete the remaining files in the Yawcam directory. (e.g c:\program files\Yawcam)
Now install the latest beta version again.

See if this helps.

You should now be able to change the imgae size from the text menu in the main window. Click "Settings -> Device(x) -> Format control..."

Where x is the name of your video device.

/malun
ducmonster

Post by ducmonster »

Thanks for the suggestion. I de-installed the version. I deleted the c:\program files\yawcam directory, and even made sure there was no Yawcam key in the hkey local machine / software Registry hive.
I re-installed the beta again, but alas, the same situation occurs...

hmmmmm.... :(
ducmonster

Post by ducmonster »

Also, If I notice that with the non beta version 0.2.6 , it detects the camera as vfw:Microsoft WDM Image Capture ...... , and I can change the resoltion settings in Edit Settings/Camera Option, but with Beta, it detects it as Kodak ez200..........
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm not sure why it doesn't work with your camera.
But try this.
Uninstall Yawcam. Delete all files left int he Yawcam directory.
Install this new version of Yawcam:
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/Yawcam_BETA_2007-03-10.exe

Now go to the yawcam directory and create a text file named forcevideoformat.txt

The text file doesn't have to contain anything it can be empty but has to be there to enable a new menu option.

Now start Yawcam and look in the menu for "Settings -> Device (x) -> Force video format..."

This brings up a new dialog with the option to choose the video format. However, when this option is used the ordinary "Format control..." might stop work for some certain video formats.

Please let me now how this works...

/malun
Last edited by malun on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
scjessey

Post by scjessey »

malun wrote:But try this...

Please let me now how this work...
I just tried this solution with a Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000. Although "Select vdieo format" in the Settings dialog is still greyed-out, I was able to access Settings | Device xxx | Format Control as indicated. It works flawlessly, and I am very happy indeed.

Simon Jessey
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Good :D
And how does this work for ducmonster?

/malun
scjessey

Post by scjessey »

scjessey wrote:It works flawlessly
It looks like I spoke to soon. After running it for a few hours, the image reverted back to the smaller size and the format control menu became inaccessible again. I fixed it by doing a complete reinstall again. I'll let you know if the same thing occurs.
ducmonster

Post by ducmonster »

I'll try it tomorrow... its a public holiday here in OZ....

Thanks again...

I'll post my results...

Ducmonster
ducmonster

Post by ducmonster »

malun wrote: Now start Yawcam and look in the menu for "Settings -> Device (x) -> Force video format..."

Please let me now how this works...

/malun
I followed your instructions.... but I dont see the new menu item.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~scagman/images/screen.jpg
What I do notice though is the first time I start yawcam, I can detect the camera, and I can open the device properties & format control once....
After that, I can no longer bring them up via the menu.

So I set it to 640 x 480 when I first started it. Then on subsequent restarts of the software, it reverts back to 320 x 240. and its quite pixelated too.

Ducmonster
scjessey

Post by scjessey »

scjessey wrote:After running it for a few hours, the image reverted back to the smaller size and the format control menu became inaccessible again. I fixed it by doing a complete reinstall again.

Okay, I can now confirm this behavior. The new beta will run fine for a few hours (not exactly sure how many), including being turned off and back on again a few times, and then the resolution change and format control menu no longer work.

All I'm really interested in is running the camera in its native format of 640 x 480, so I would be happy with editing a config file or something if the menu item problem cannot be easily fixed.
scjessey

Post by scjessey »

scjessey wrote:All I'm really interested in is running the camera in its native format of 640 x 480, so I would be happy with editing a config file or something if the menu item problem cannot be easily fixed.
I have been able to achieve this by using the Force video format menu item, and so (it appears) I no longer need to worry about having to reinstall the software to get it to do what I want.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

ducmonster wrote:I followed your instructions.... but I dont see the new menu item.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~scagman/images/screen.jpg
An image says more than thousand words :D
I can see that you have the option "hide file extensions for known file types" selected for your Windows. This means that the text file you created now actually is named forcevideoformat.txt.txt But the last .txt is not displayed.
This is why Yawcam doesn't enable the extra menu option.

Solve this by removing the .txt in the file name (if you leave the widows settings as they are now...)

If you want to show the real and full file name with extension you do like this:
Click on the Tools menu in the windows file browser.
Click on Folder options...
Select the View tab
UNcheck "hide file extensions for known file types"
Click OK to finish

After this procedure you will probably see the file as forcevideoformat.txt.txt Rename it to forcevideoformat.txt in that case.

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

scjessey>

I'm not following you here...

Do you still have problems using the "Force video format..." or not?
When the option disappeared, did you check that the text file forcevideoformat.txt still was in place?

/malun
scjessey

Post by scjessey »

malun wrote:Do you still have problems using the "Force video format..." or not?
When the option disappeared, did you check that the text file forcevideoformat.txt still was in place?
Force video format... is working just fine as far as I can tell.

The Device properties and Format control menu items do not work, although the latter works on a temporary basis for a few hours following a reinstall.