Streaming from home connection to server for viewing?

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Drew

Streaming from home connection to server for viewing?

Post by Drew »

Hi all,

Maybe you can help me with what I'm wanting to do. I know the Yawcam is intended to be setup on the connection that you are on with your computer, which I intend to do. However, since I'm on a pretty low speed DSL with an upload of only about 30KB/sec, I want to somehow integrate my webcam to stream from my home connection to my server at a colocation facility (that obviously has a whole lot more upload bandwidth than I do). This way, if I have 30 people looking at my webcam there, it's not going to skip a beat. Versus having it on my home connection, 30 connected people would either get a blurry stream, or extreme slowness. Is this possible? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Drew
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

There is no built-in way to this in Yawcam currently. However if you are able to run a script or program on the server you might be able to fix something that could work.

You need the script to poll your Yawcam computer for images over the 30Kb/s line and save them locally on the server. Then set up a javascript page (very similar to the one used in Yawcam) on the server that presents the images to the viewers but loads the image stream from the server.

This would put all the load on the server and not your Yawcam computer.

/malun