Passing FTP parameters through Yawcam?

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
badun

Passing FTP parameters through Yawcam?

Post by badun »

I'll try to keep this short and simple. Just for grins, I set up a tiny Web site on a development server in our shop. My department owns the apps and basically everything on the server except the hardware and OS. A friendly admin within our group gave me the permissions to create the site, but he does not have full admin rights to the box. When I use Yawcam to FTP images to the server, or any web cam software, the images have permissions of 644. Because of those permission settings, no one can view the image on the Web page. I can chmod the images once landed, but the next transfer overlays the permissions. My Unix profile isn't causing the permissions issue, so we're assuming it's the FTP server.

Neither of us has access to its settings, so as a workaround what I'd like to be able to do is pass a chmod command to the ftp script. Is this possible using Yawcam?
malun
Site Admin

Re: Passing FTP parameters through Yawcam?

Post by malun »

badun wrote:Neither of us has access to its settings, so as a workaround what I'd like to be able to do is pass a chmod command to the ftp script. Is this possible using Yawcam?
No, not at the moment. But perhaps a small fix could be made.

If I chmod an image with 644 on my webserver I can still see the image. Not sure why you can't... How do you chmod your image to be able to see it?

/malun
badun

Post by badun »

If I log in via FTP and chmod the most recent image to 666, everyone can see it. To work around it in a totally kludge function, the admin told me to run a shell script that did a chmod 666 every second. It worked, but that's a nasty way to do things.

Edit: Sorry, brain fart on my part. The permissions are 640, not 644. Also, the Web server is IBM_HTTP_Server/2.0.47.1 Apache/2.0.47 (Unix).
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Ah, 640 makes sense :D

I have now built a version with a small "chmod option".
Download this:
Yawcam_BETA_2007-06-04.exe

and create a text file called chmod.txt in your yawcam directory. (e.g. C:\Program Files\Yawcam)
On the first row in this file type 666 (or whatever number you want to chmod the file to)

The image file is now "chmodded" to the number in the text file after upload.

Try it and tell me how it works!

/malun
badun

Post by badun »

Works like a charm! Thank you VERY much for taking the time to make this enhancement. I'm sure that others can find uses for additional FTP commands and parms if you wish to incorporate the capability into future releases. Thanks again!