Hang an startup, can´t use Webcam

Report and discuss bugs here!
Yau (Yet another User)

Hang an startup, can´t use Webcam

Post by Yau (Yet another User) »

Hello, great software.

I have a little bug:

when I start yawcam the first time I only get a black prewiev / capture from my web-cam (is yet detected). When I start it the next time it uses the former detectet cam and works fine!?

Would be great if you can fix this
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Ok, this was a new one...
I'll start by asking my usual question: Have you got the latest drivers for your webcam installed?

/malun
YAU (Yet Another User)

Bug at Startup

Post by YAU (Yet Another User) »

Yes, I have the newest Driver, Java 1.4.2, XP Professional ...
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

If you want to help, you can download a different startfile to Yawcam. When this start file is used a dos-prompt will appear when Yawcam runs. In this extra window some debug-info and exceptions will be printed. See if any exceptions are printed when Yawcam won't start. That info would be very useful for me :-)

You can get the alternate start file here: http://www.yawcam.com/yaw_debug.bat
Save the file to your Yawcam directory and start by dubbel click on the .bat file.

This might give us an idea of what's going on...

/malun
YAU (Yet another User)

Post by YAU (Yet another User) »

Hello, I runned the debug mode and sent you the reports per e-mail. There is no difference between the first and the secound start. Maybe it´s a kind of time-out problem with initialising the cam-driver the first time?
YAU (Yet another User)

Oh maby this may be a hint too: the first time Yawcam starting it lasts very long until the software runs (with the black picture) - about 1 minute. The secound time starting Yawcam it´s only a few secounds and all is fine.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Thanx!

By the debug print you sent me, it looks like you start Yawcam automatically hidden to the traybar.
Are there any difference if you don't start in hidden mode at startup?

When you get a black preview window... What happens if you close it, disable all output types, wait 6 seconds, and then open the preview window again?
Is it still black?
Maybe it´s a kind of time-out problem with initialising the cam-driver the first time?
Hmm... Maybe. The first time when Yawcam starts slowly, do you see the intro image during the whole time? or does it disappear as soon as in the second time you start Yawcam?

/malun
YAU (Yet another User)

The intro image is shown very long at first start. The programm startup itself (after the intro image hides) is only a little bit longer then the second time the programm is startet.

There´s no difference beetween the startmodes (hide / not hide in tray, start / not start stream on startup). Even stop the stream, close and open the preview again has no effect on the bug.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

What happens if you choose to detect the webcam from the menu (settings -> detect webcam) when the preview window is black? Does the image come back?

/malun
YAU (Yet another User)

That works. After a while the cam is detected and the picture is there.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Yawcam apparently have problems to connect to your webcam.
I am not able to figure out why this happens. Sorry!
Thanks for your help and patience.

/malun
Framkieg

Can't detect webcam

Post by Framkieg »

I have tried to use an ADC USB 2 webcam that works with everything but this. I get the black window. It works fine with any USB1 cam. Perhaps the problem peopel are having is with USB 2 cams? Just my two cents.
YAU (Yet another User)

I use an Aiptek MiniCam with USB 1 on USB 2 Port. The Cam-Software itself takes a lot of time to initialise the videostream. So I guess it´s a driver-relatet problem.