files needed to make stream java work

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
caporion

files needed to make stream java work

Post by caporion »

Hello, I recently downloaded this software and I like what I see. I am trying to stream up to a remotely hosted web server and I have so far included the HTML and the YawApplet.class file. What else do I need up on that server for the java viewer to work? so far all I see in my web browser is the gray box with the java logo on it. When I pull up the java console it shows it's throwing an error. something about java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission MY_WEBCAM_PC_URL resolve)

Any ideas?

caporion
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Because of security reasons an applet can't load the image data from a computer different from that it was downloaded from.
This means that the webpage and the computer where you run Yawcam must have the same address.

One way to avoid this problem is to use the build-in webserver in Yawcam. Then the applet is downloaded from the computer where Yawcam is running and it should work. (You can modify the page to fit the rest of your webpage appearance.)

Yet another solution would be if I made a signed applet. Then it would work just like you are doing now. The only catch is that the viewer will have to decide if he/she trusts the applet and answer that question in a popup window.
At present time there is no signed applet available, but I'll see what I can do...

/malun
caporion

Post by caporion »

I tried the method you mention in an iframe and that is working nicely. I'll keep checking back to see if you make a signed version. Thanks again for this nice software!

caporion
Stryder

Post by Stryder »

Just a query, does the address have to be an IP or can it be Canonical?

If it can be Canonical could you say host the Java applet on one subdomain, and house the camera on another using the main domain as for the security?

Namely an online server might be www.domain.com and your home system's IP might be included in the ZONE record as webcam.domain.com, could www.domain.com house the Java applet that pulls the home computer/subdomain feed?
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

No, the address don't have to be an IP, it can be Canonical.

I don't know if it would work with a subdomain. This has to do with the security policy for java applets.
I'll try to google and see what i can find.

I think the easiest way to find out the answer, is to actually test if it works. (If you have the possibility of testing this...)

/malun
Stryder

Post by Stryder »

I gave it ago, your right it still utilises the resolvement of the IP so if you have a subdomain it will only work if it's the same IP as the domain your using it with.

It was worth a look none the less.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

What a shame :(
But thanx for sharing your experience!

/malun