Preview screen flicker

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
invisibo

Preview screen flicker

Post by invisibo »

The preview screen flickers (almost in a pattern) when viewing input from my webcam or my capture card. If I stream it and look at the stream it's perfect, but the preview remains a flickering. It happens in both 0.3.0 and the 2007.6.11 beta on Windows XP. Ideas?
Ryan_S

Post by Ryan_S »

I just started having the same problem last week. It seems to only be the preview that has the issues.
flumpit

it's Java related

Post by flumpit »

There's a thread in the bugs forum which suggests it's the Java runtime environment that's the problem.

Go back to an earlier version of Java and it's okay.

You can get older versions of Java here http://www.oldapps.com/java.htm

I'm running 1.6.0.1 and it's fine.
Ryan_S

Post by Ryan_S »

NICE!

It was the Java update 10. Simply uninstalled that and it's working perfectly.

Thanks. :D
fotografm

Post by fotografm »

The problem has been fixed for me too. Thanks.
Has anyone tried Java update 11 yet ? Does that also cure the problem ?
robkemme

Java flicker

Post by robkemme »

Tried it with Java update 11, still flickers.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

First of all many thanks for the most superb FREE software. It was soooo easy to set up within minutes and has worked superbly for a couple of years now. I returned a similar purchased product that i paid over £200 for because it was so glitchy and had many problematic issues.

However, i am in a similar situation that more and more people are coming across, namely, the Java update is causing the preview screen (only) to flicker. I do need to have the use of the preview screen as i have it on in the corner of my pc screen connected to the cctv cameras whilst using my computer.

I'm very surprised that some people are readily accepting that in order to have Yawcam running as normal, they are rolling back to an outdated version of Java. Clearly as time goes on that will be less and less of an (odd) option as the new Java will be required ever more so. I already get many programmes and applications demanding i use the most recent version of Java.

That brings me to my possibly naive questions?. Surely, Yawcam just needs a simple programming tweak to return it to full working status?. Are there any adjustments one can make oneself within the programme files? Finally, what is causing the problem and why?, i know Jave Runtime has been mentioned, but in layman's terms what does that mean?.
Spe

Post by Spe »

Hi. I think there is one solution for this.
After an investigation I realised that the problem is in a DSJ library (DirectShow java wrapper) used by YawCam.

Try to download the latest DSJ package ( http://www.humatic.de/webapps/php/downl ... hp?app=dsj ),
replace dsj.dll in the YawCam folder and dsj.jar in the YawCam\lib
It works for me.
mguentz

Thanks!

Post by mguentz »

Spe- This worked for me. Thanks for posting it.
TheBard

Post by TheBard »

Spe wrote:Hi. I think there is one solution for this.
After an investigation I realised that the problem is in a DSJ library (DirectShow java wrapper) used by YawCam.

Try to download the latest DSJ package ( http://www.humatic.de/webapps/php/downl ... hp?app=dsj ),
It works for me.
Worked here, too!

Thanks!
Chnnedonna

Thanks

Post by Chnnedonna »

Worked, Thank you! :D
brightthings

Post by brightthings »

It works for me.
Spe, you just saved me a lot time! Thanks for posting the fix.
bugmenot-user

Post by bugmenot-user »

It works for me.
Thanks it worked for me too, removed the flickering screen.. but I can no longer change my camera's format settings or device properties under the settings option..

Anybody know why?
lesbriggs

Post by lesbriggs »

It works for me.
This fixed the preview for me too, but I also lost the ablility to adjust the camera settings by updating the DSJ package. I then tried uninstalling Java 11 (back to 6), and that worked fine after un- and re-installing YawCam.
Cyberdactyl

Post by Cyberdactyl »

Thanks Spe. . .had the same issue and it fixed it.