Viewing streaming help needed

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
missy1462

Viewing streaming help needed

Post by missy1462 »

For a little background to make this understandable. I am setting up a computer at my grandfather's house with webcamers so that we can monitor his safety. He's 93 and is adamant about not moving so we're trying to work it out so we can make sure he hasn't fallen or forgot a pot on the stove, etc ...

We hooked him up with high speed internet through Verizon. I can hook up my laptop down there and view him using Yawcam. My problem is though, I can have my husband plug in the URL here at our home and we can't view him. We have our internet through Charter. My dad has Verizon and can view grandpa fine. My brother also has Charter like me and he cannot view him either. I can hook up the web cams here at my home and my brother and dad both can pick up the stream. So basically, Verizon users can view Verizon streams, and Verizon users can view Charter streams, but Charter users cannot view Verizon streams. That may make no sense, but it's the only way I know how to explain it.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might be going wrong here and how we might fix it? I don't know much at all about ports and such, so I'd definitely beg for simplified directions ...

We are worried about my grandfather being alone and falling with no one finding him, and this will give us a great deal of peace of mind, but not if I can't get it to work.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
tellmewhy

Post by tellmewhy »

If i interprete this correctly,
All settings are correct (on the server side as well as on the viewers side) since you can connect to the stream as long as you have the same Internet provider.

The only thing i can think of is that certain ports are blocked automaticly for streaming video when you have different Internet providers.
So the only thing you can do is configure another port for streaming.

Where can you configure the port ?
Info found in the Yawcam - Onliine help.
Yawcam -> Settings -> Stream

Port - This is the port number the web server for stream will open on.
Of course you have to add the "new configured port" to the firewall exception list.