If Malun still visits this forum - her are 2 important bugs!

Report and discuss bugs here!
Helge

If Malun still visits this forum - her are 2 important bugs!

Post by Helge »

I guess it is now more than 2 years since Malun did the last upgrade on this great software, so I am not sure if he have stopped working on it or not. I really hope Yawcam will be upgraded since it is in many ways a very super webcam software with several features that are actually not available in some of the webcam softwares that are shareware/payware.

There might be other bugs in the last versions of Yawcam, but I have at least verified 2 important ones:

1. FTP upload does not work on some PCs/network adapters. I have experienced this on two new computers in 2009. FTP-upload works with several other softwares like other webcam softwares, weather station software and not at least a couple of FTP-client softwares I have tried. Starting FTP upload with Yawcam do however not work and it trashes even the network connection on the computer so that MS IE, LAN printer-, files-, and folders sharing and other softwares FTP do not work any more. I have tried "repair" on the network connection but it does not work. I have to restart the PC's for again having a working connection. Starting FTP with yawcam, yet again (and again.... ) crashes the network connection. As I mentioned this have happened for me on two computers and the solution on both computers was to disable the Gbps onboard network adapter and plug in older network adapters. But since the FTP problem was only with Yawcam and none of the other FTP-capable softwares I have tried, it must be a compatibility problem with Yawcam.

2. Image flickering in Yawcam preview window. This problem do also not affect all computers, but I have experienced it on 3 PC's. The problem can be partly solved as described in another topic here by changing two files in the Yawcam folder. But then you loose the device settings and format windows (being greyed out/inactive). Another way to solve the problem is by downgrading to an older java version but this is not a good solution either since some other newer softwares or more recently upgraded softwares rely on newer java versions.

Malun... Malun.... where are you :cry:

Helge
vattz

Post by vattz »

i think about 3rd point... teh CPU bug :(
on poor comps w/ 1300mhz of proc when fired up yawcam, i had to enable and redisable streaming & motion detector, and if motion detector is started, java and system process fill up cpu. on newer computer, amd athlon (1300mhz is intel), 2000mhz - nothing strange...!! wtf?
vattz

Post by vattz »

malun, malun, please, ring up buddy :(
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm still around, but not as often as before...
The problem with the flickering image is fixed in the new release: Yawcam 0.3.1.
I have to look at the other problems later.

/malun
vattz

Post by vattz »

3.2 does flashing for me, older doesn't! o_O?!
and still system + java process fires up cpu to 100% on that oldbox. :S!

/me grabs malun back :(
vattz

Post by vattz »

vattz wrote:3.2 does flashing for me, older doesn't! o_O?!
and still system + java process fires up cpu to 100% on that oldbox. :S!

/me grabs malun back :(
edit: *installs beta and tests*

edit2: nak, neither beta 8.1.2010 fails to work! i need old version :( THIS BLINKS :(
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

So for you, Yawcam 0.3.0 works, but Yawcam 0.3.2 and later betas has a flickering preview window? Strange...
Which version of java are you using?

/malun
vattz

Post by vattz »

on my comp it's java6 update17 and 0.3.2 fails to work, also newest beta
on comp where java+sys proc fills up to 100%, it's java6 update13 yawcam 0.3.0 and SAME CAMERA and on poor compy it fills up cpu, on mine (newest) it doesn't but image flickers. possibily issue: JAVA.
*damn it*
vattz

Post by vattz »

malun wrote:So for you, Yawcam 0.3.0 works, but Yawcam 0.3.2 and later betas has a flickering preview window? Strange...
Which version of java are you using?

/malun
basically ther are 2 problems:
a) older versions (i remember, that's simple) on my comp didn't flick an image. maybe it's java fail.
b) 0.3.0 on poor comp fills up CPU. dunno why, java process and system do, minimum i met today was 78%.

it could be java... :S i'm affraid of upgrading java on poor comp, it might help or it might broke everything and flick+unattach camera problem will be created there too :S

i'll make sys restore point and test it out, i'll tell you later what happened.
/me!

EDIT:

Test report: java updated, no flickering, still processor to 100%. (that's the old comp w/ YAWCAM0.3.0)

*cries*
roderick

Post by roderick »

I have both java6 update17 and 0.3.2 too, but, in vain, since doesn't work. Has anyone found more reasonable solution?