Daylight focus

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
kvrajan

Daylight focus

Post by kvrajan »

Hi..

I have a peculiar problem with the focus of my camera. While everthing works technically well, the camera I have positioned for surveillance of the main gate at my house, shows only complete white screen due to heavy sunlight. The same works fine in the day-end / late evenings. Even in the night depending on the intensity of the lights the objects are visible, such as my car etc. But during the day nothing is visible due to over exposure.

This is an issue outside of the software control [?] and to do with the focus or positioning of the camera. I have tried several options, but in vain.

If anyone has experienced something similar to this and could find a solution, please share it with me.

Interestingly, I have tried putting sun-glass in front of the camera lens, to check and that seems to work well during bright sunlight but then, the rest of the day becomes too dark to see anything [naturally]. :roll:

thanks in advance.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

My guess is that you should look into an infrared camera, but I don't know how they act in sunlight, or whether they work with yawcam for that matter.

But I guess if that's what you want you could give it a try and let us know.
ricq

Post by ricq »

Does your camera software have a setting for auto-exposure?
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

I've had a similar problem.
The fix was to use a lens from "Reactolite" type sunglasses in front of the lens. I mean the photochromic type of lens that darkens in light and goes clear as it gets darker.

Brian.
kvrajan

Daylight focus

Post by kvrajan »

Hi..

Thanks for the responses.

1. I did not try an Infra-red cam which obviously is meant for seeing in dark and not for this purpose.

2. I tried setting the auto-exposure in the camera settings, which did not make any difference. Not sure why ?

3. Yes, I was thinking of photo-chromatic glass in front of the camera lens, but need to get one and experiment. I think this will work only when the sun light falls on the photochromatic glass and not otherwise.

As mentioned, when I put a normal sunglass infront of the lens, it worked great. But then it has other problem.

I appreciate the responses, in all cases.