Windows 7 freezeup

Report and discuss bugs here!
Deerfeeder

Windows 7 freezeup

Post by Deerfeeder »

I'm using a camera by our feeder to watch the deer with a live feed. I use Yawcam to provide a HTML page from a computer closer to the feeder. Everything works fine, except today I decided to save a picture of some deer. I hit the printscreen key, and Windows totally locked up. Mouse, everything, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL would come up. I have all updates, and Yawcam is the latest version. I know one answer is not to hit printscreen, but is there another answer if I want to save a still image?

The computer with Yawcam running on it is XP PRO and does not have any problems. After rebooting my Win 7 machine, I simply connected to the Yawcan live feed web page again and it is business as usual. (HTTP://196.168.1.106:8081/)

DATA: Windows Professional N with Media Center update, 4 gig ram, AMD Athlon 2.4 Ghz 64 X2 dual core 4600+, and a D-Link DIR-632 router in the house. My feed from the remote location gets here by using two EnGenius EOC-2610. I experience no problems with anything else. I do not put the stream over the Internet, only to my LAN.
stillgrey

Snagit

Post by stillgrey »

On your win 7 box click start then in the searchbox type snip. Then run the snipping tool to capture whatever portion of the screen you want. While it is up, right clcik on the icon in the tray and pin it there. It is very handy.
stillgrey

OT: Access Points

Post by stillgrey »

So you are happy with the EnGenius EOC-2610? I am wanting to do the same and have not been able to get a signal to the woods. How far are you reaching?

Thanks,
Deerfeeder

Post by Deerfeeder »

I can't tell you how many times I searched the Internet looking for something like the EnGenius 2610. I went to All the big name stores and asked and all they could tell me was that "most of that stuff is toys and they don't work very well." I have a box of 15 or so routers and access points I tried, with little to no luck. I also tried the type that plugs in the outlets, like for the telephones, and they worked for a couple months and then wouldn't. Somehow, luckily, one day I found the EnGenius info on the Internet and when I read about them, I ordered two that day. Setup wasn't difficult (probably because I have set up so many similar things) and if you can get a line of sight they will go for miles according to what I read. The EnGenius in the house goes through 2 interior and one exterior walls then to the remote unit. My shop is some distance from our house. I have cameras where we feed the deer, and run that through 100' of cable to a video input to a computer in the shop. That computer connects through regular cat5 cable to the EnGenius, which "talks" to the one in the house, and it is like the remote computer is hooked up with the same cat5 cable to the router in the house. We live in the middle of 105 acres, yet someone was stopping on the road and stealing our Internet, so I encrypted the units, as well as hid the signal. I wouldn't have cared, but we have satellite and they "ding" me if I download too much. I have a Windows Home Server computer in the pantry which I wanted to put in the shop, but it will not work through the EnGenius. It knows somehow that it is a wireless connection to the router and therefore will not work. (The Windows Home Server does talk to and back up the remote computer, it just will not work through the wireless. It has to have a wired connection to the router.) Other than that, everything is great. I would recommend these to anybody trying to get Internet or even just LAN to a remote location.
stillgrey

OT: Wireless

Post by stillgrey »

Thanks, I am going to order a pair and see. Looks like they have upgraded to EOC2611P.

While we are so off topic :) I am an MVP for MS Home server....go figure. Not sure what is not working for you as in if it backs up the remote PC it is "seeing" stuff. I would think if you just had a switch in the shop connected to the AP, then to your PC and the Home Server all should be well. But I really don't see any advantage to have the WHS in the shop vs the house.

If you like email me directly greyatsmallbizserverdotcom or post at www.forums.homeserver.com