Video Preview Problem With Multiple Instances of Yawcam

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
AE8I

Post by AE8I »

I've recently began using multiple USB webcams on one computer (Windows Vista PC) by installing two instances of Yawcam as described in detail in malun's Jan 31, 2011 post. Everything works fine, except that when I open my second instance of Yawcam, the preview box containing the live video does not appear.

When I view the streaming video from the second instance via my web browser, the video is fine. When I use motion detection with e-mail notification and have an image attached, again, the video capture is fine. So the two functions I'm most concerned with are working well.

Any suggestions as to why I'm not seeing the live video preview box when the second instance of Yawcam is started?

Thanks

EDIT: Naturally, just after I posted, I managed to resolve the problem!
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

For others who get this issue, the problem is resolved by clicking on the menu "Window" then Preview, this makes the preview window open.
AE8I

Post by AE8I »

Thanks to z3r0c00|12 for doing my job for me - I should have indeed posted how the problem was resolved.

I actually use Yawcam on two PCs. For a period of time I was running only one instance per PC, and by default the preview window was enabled, so I became used to having it open whenever I started the program. For whatever reason, the second instance of Yawcam now installed on one of my PCs never opens with the preview window enabled, even if I close the program with it enabled during a prior session. As such, it didn't immediately occur to me that what is an apparently default setting might suddenly change when a second instance of Yawcam was initiated. Obviously I've done something to alter the setting, but I don't know what it is. In any event, I don't consider it a serious enough problem to warrant further effort on my part.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

You can set the preview to open at startup in the settings, here is a link to the help guide.
AE8I

Re: Video Preview Problem With Multiple Instances of Yawcam

Post by AE8I »

Thanks again to z3r0c00|12 for your input.

Yes, I've been to the Startup settings window - oddly enough, the "Show preview" block in the Startup window was/is checked, yet I still get no preview on program start. I've tried unchecking the block, shutting down the program, restarting, rechecking the block, etc., but it still doesn't work. Interestingly, if I check the "Show console" or "Show viewers" choices, they do show at program start up. It's just the preview window that won't respond. And again, this is such a minor problem, I'm not overly concerned about it.

Another observation about running two instances, at least on my PC - if I start instance two (the one with the modified folders/files), I get no video in my first instance when it's later started. If I initiate the first instance first, the video is fine. Again, no big problem - I just make sure I start them in the necessary order.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I added this an open bug, Malun will investigate further.
AE8I

Re: Video Preview Problem With Multiple Instances of Yawcam

Post by AE8I »

Thanks very much. I would think it's much more likely an error on my part setting up the second instance, rather than a problem with the software itself, given that apparently nobody else has experienced this issue.

In any event, these are very minor problems for what I consider an outstanding product!