motion detection

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
bobers05

motion detection

Post by bobers05 »

no matter what setting i use, the camera keeps taking pictures, without any motion present
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

Do you have anything else activated such as "File", "stream" etc?

If you want motion, only enable Motion and see what happens with the various settings.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Light variation will cause the motion detection to be triggered as well, but like Bubba said, disable everything else first, only keep motion to see if the problem persists.
lordinvincible

motion detection false alarms

Post by lordinvincible »

First of all, I registered just to add more to this problem.

Not taking anything away from this program, it's a great program. It does everything else perfectly, streaming, ftping, sending email...you name it and it can do it. However, the motion detection is pretty much useless at any location where light setting can change (like from cloudy to sunny).

I have tweaked it as much as I could but still couldn't get rid of many false alarms due to lighting change.

There was one thread I came across while researching a way to get around this. It's suggested in a future version to include a max thresh hold where motion detection can be triggered which might partially solve this false alarm issue. The thread was first brought up last year and the suggestion is on the to-do list but still haven't been implemented.

As far as my experience goes, you can pretty much forget about using it
as motion detection if the cam is aimed outside your windows. You will be getting many many false alerts due to lighting change.
z3r0c00l12 wrote:Light variation will cause the motion detection to be triggered as well, but like Bubba said, disable everything else first, only keep motion to see if the problem persists.
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

This is why I previously posted a suggestion to have "multiple" motion detection areas. In my case, I can select a couple or three areas that are relatively stable but if I try to make one area cover all three there are many false positives. If I try to to reduce the sensitivity/ tolerance to levels that do not cause false positives, it does not trigger at all!
kiwiradical

Motion Detection Fix for outdoors

Post by kiwiradical »

Yes, unfortunately this otherwise great program is no good for outdoor use because of the multiple events caused by light changes. The best fix for this is already in the accepted suggestions list. i.e. an upper limit to the motion sensitivity. e.g. if you could set a range say above 20% but less than 70% motion then the light changes, which are nearly always 80%+ 'motion' would be disregarded.

I get about 60-80 'motion' events a day just from light changes, eg the sun going behind a cloud etc.

I just wait patiently for the fix to be coded and released.............
lordinvincible

Post by lordinvincible »

Ok? what would you suggest as a fix giving the info below?
siddle35 wrote:The motion detection process receives a digitized 120x120 image from the left wide camera. Incoming images are stored in a ring of three frame buffers; two frame buffers hold the current complete image and the previous complete image while the extra frame buffer is being written to.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

it's spam, ignore him.