Getting Yawcam to work using W7 Remote Desktop Connection

Report and discuss bugs here!
Geoffw_uk

Getting Yawcam to work using W7 Remote Desktop Connection

Post by Geoffw_uk »

I have Yawcam and my webcam attached to one computer on my home network, but I want to run them from another machine using Remote Desktop Connection.

However I am unable to run Yawcam on the remote machine and am getting the error message "Java Platform SE binary has stopped working".

My weather station and Cumulus (the software package I use with it) work fine controlled remotely, But Yawcam will only start on the machine it was installed on and the camera is connected to.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I have the same issue with Remote Desktop, the issue doesn't happen if there is no other user logged in to the machine. In RDP, hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc which will bring you the task manager, go to the Users tab and log off other sessions, then try starting Yawcam.
Geoffw_uk

Post by Geoffw_uk »

z3r0c00l12 wrote:I have the same issue with Remote Desktop, the issue doesn't happen if there is no other user logged in to the machine. In RDP, hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc which will bring you the task manager, go to the Users tab and log off other sessions, then try starting Yawcam.
Thanks that has worked in respect of the Yawcam. I now have both Cumulus and Yawcam running on the remote machine through Window RDC.....

HOWEVER (and there always has to be one :) ) The Webcam is not being detected on the RDC on the remote machine. Something for me to work on when I get back from the supermarket! ..... any further ideas would be appreciated!!!!

PS Failed to get the camera to work on the remote machine.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I didn't have that problem, the camera was connected fine through RDP.

A few things to check, if the camera is plugged in, and whether or not there is another application using it.
Geoffw_uk

Post by Geoffw_uk »

Yes, definitely plugged in an working on the machine it is attached to. On the remote computer it is also listed under "Devices and Printers" ...... if you click on 'Properties' it is deemded as working properly but if you attempt to run it you get the Message the 'There is no camera connected to this computer'

Obviously there is some kind of conflict here!
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Is it a webcam?
Camcorders that double as webcams can sometimes play that trick on you.
Geoffw_uk

Post by Geoffw_uk »

z3r0c00l12 wrote:Is it a webcam?
Camcorders that double as webcams can sometimes play that trick on you.

Yes it certainly is a webcam. In is theMS Lifecam Cinema

Anyway I will have to shelve the problem for the time being as I've a busy week ahead of me - however keep the suggestions flowing!!

....and many thanks
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Are the drivers for the camera installed?
I've had issues with the LifeCam cinemas before where if you simply plug them in, they will work as plug-n-play cameras at the standard definition, but some software don't recognise it. Once the drivers installed (available on Microsoft's website) it supports high definition and also works properly with all software.
Snowman

Remote Desktop

Post by Snowman »

Try using "Teamviewer" in place of the Microsoft Remote. I have had great luck with it. It is free for non-commerical use.