Hello everyone - I came back

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Laura Boivin

Hello everyone - I came back

Post by Laura Boivin »

Hi y'all,

After going pretty much around the world with webcam software, I came back to Yawcam.
Though a lot of familiarities, re-learning this program is challenging.

After a computer crash, I was forced to buy a new computer & get Windows 7... it has been fun learning & still have a long way to go, but, I'm getting there.

I do see improvements in Yawcam since the last time (about 2 years ago) since using it.

From where I am sitting, everything looks OK, but I would appreciate it if someone would look at it & let me know what it looks like from your end.

Nice to be back... :D
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Well, I for one, would like to welcome you back to the community Laura.

I am glad to see you came back to Yawcam.

You webcam is displaying just fine, although it seems very windy out there right now.
Laura Boivin

Post by Laura Boivin »

z3r0c00l12 wrote:Well, I for one, would like to welcome you back to the community Laura.

I am glad to see you came back to Yawcam.

You webcam is displaying just fine, although it seems very windy out there right now.
Thank you.

It is very windy here right now...storms a brewin....thanks for checking out the webcam for me.

This time, I did go through No-Ip & managed to get it going for one camera..I did pay for a subscription so that I could get 2 cams up there without restrictions that one gets with the free one...it's only $10 a year...lol...just need to figure out how to do that on another computer.

After stretching my brain, I think I need a nap first. :)
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Well, after your nap, let me know what you are trying to do and I'll see if I can help.

From the sound of it, you wish to host 2 webcams from the same internet connection. Which, by IP address can be easily done, but in the case of most home users, it would be preferred to have a domain name as the IP address would change often.
Laura Boivin

Post by Laura Boivin »

ok...no nap...brain is too active...lol

I have another camera on another computer. I could host it through another website or just create another page & call it webcam-2.html.

What is really confusing me is going about downloading the no-IP into that computer & then giving it another host name.

Thanks for the offer; I think I need to take that bull by the horns & just push my way through.

I am finding the no-IP instructions difficult to understand...hmm, maybe I will contact them & get them to walk me through it on the phone if I fail this process.
:?
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Is that other computer in the same house? If so, you don't need to put no-ip on it, simply use another port in Yawcam and forward this new port to the other computer. I run 4 cameras (soon 6), on the same internet connection, you just need to change the port, say your computer is running Yawcam on port 8081, you can set the stream on the other computer to use port 8082 and forward port 8082 to your other computer using your router. Since NO-ip will keep in sync with your other computer, all you need to do is point your other stream to the other port, so the first computer would go something like:
firstcomputer.no-ip.org and you'd connect your webcam by using firstcomputer.no-ip.org:8081 then you simply need to point that exact name to a different port, so your second webcam would be firstcomputer.no-ip.org:8082

Obivously, you can continue following this logic with other cameras as well, even running those other cameras on the same computer as well. So you'd have lets' say Cam1 and Cam2 on computer1, using port 8081 and 8082. Then have Cam3 and Cam4 on computer2 using port 8083 and 8084. With all this you still only need 1 computer to run no-ip.
Laura Boivin

Post by Laura Boivin »

Hi there,

Yes, the other compputer is in my house...what I was wanting to accomplish was to have the other camera with its' own IP address & not be showing my IP address...and..I did it!!!

Took me a long time to figure it out, but what I did was log back into no-IP & create another host. I can still add more cameras & more hosts (doubt that I will though) ...well worth the $10 a year, I think.

I've been at it since around 6 a.m. & it finally all came together. Even found a script to add to Facebook.,,,ask me if I'm pleased... 8)

Now to enjoy some sunshine.
Have a great day all...
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Laura, there is no way of hiding your IP and people still being able to connect, having NO-IP only makes it easier to manage dynamic IPs assigned by your ISP or making it easier for users to remember how to get to your website. In this case, you put an Iframe in the page, I see this from the source on your website:

Code: Select all

<IFRAME height=600 
                  src="http://[FILTERED].[FILTERED].org:8081" 
                  frameBorder=0 width=1000 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
so from there, I see your NO-IP hostname, then all I need to do is use the command ping which comes native with almost any computer or smartphone.
something like this:
ping examplehost.example.org

then, my computer would ping and tell me the IP address like this:
Pinging examplehost.example.org [1.1.1.1]

then just to be sure I'm at the right place, I can try and connect to your webcam using that IP address.
http://1.1.1.1:8081/ brings me to your webcam.

Since you are trying to hide your IP, I filtered out the information, but it just goes to show anybody can see it, if you would hide it successfully, no one would be able to connect because they wouldn't know which IP to connect to.

In case you haven't figured it out, I am a network technician, I do this for a living.
Laura Boivin

Post by Laura Boivin »

well!!! what a bummer...so if you can find it that easily, what am I paying no-Ip for??? please this to me.

thanks...
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

You are paying them for a domain name, or in your case, a sub-domain. 10$/year is the typical price for a domain name. For instance, I pay 9,95$/year for z3r0c00l12.com. The domain name you got only allows you to access your computer easily by only having to remember the domain name. Otherwise, you'd have to put your IP address directly in your webpage which means that if you lose electricity, your IP address would likely change and you'd have to edit your webpage. By having the domain name, it's static and even if your IP address changes due to a lack of electricity, reboot of your modem, reboot of your router, etc.. you don't need to worry about your website, as when your computer turns back on, NO-ip will update your domain name to point to your new IP and your ready to go. If you wish to have protection, make sure that you only have necessary ports forwarded in your firewall and that the firewall is active. You may also enable a firewall on your computer, just make sure you have allowed Yawcam first.
Laura Boivin

Post by Laura Boivin »

ok...thanks for the info..I completely misunderstood the concept....all along thinking that it gave me some privacy....oh well.

After finiishing the site today, we had a power outage that lasted all of maybe 2 seconds, but long enough to throw everything off.

I had to remove yawcam from both computers & do a complete new install, go into the router & reset the permissions....my least favourite thing to do.

Again, thank you. :)
carina67

Post by carina67 »

lol, welcome back!
renzhee

welcome

Post by renzhee »

welcome~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :D :D :D :D :D
Laura Boivin

Post by Laura Boivin »

thank you........ :)