motion detection starts only at new motion detection

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
livingcolour

motion detection starts only at new motion detection

Post by livingcolour »

Hello I'm new with yawcam.

I've downloaded the yawcam application because it's motion detection. Now I have a problem configuring the software.

What I want is save images when there is motion detected. I use image array and I save 4 images with an interval of 500 ms.(I'am using tstampMS in filename) What the software does is: when there is motion detected, its saves 4 images. Ok, that takes 2 seconds. If the duration of the motion is 10 seconds I miss 8 seconds because the software starts saving the next 4 images when the first motion is ended and there is a new motion detected. I'm not using Flood control. What I'am doing wrong?

Greetz,

Marcel
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

You are not doing anything wrong...

Yawcam works exactly as you described. There is no function today that let you save images for longer time than what is specified by the image array. (Even if there still is motion in front of the camera...)
It is possible that this can be changed in the future though, but right now I can't say when...

/malun
sirwatson

Post by sirwatson »

+1 for this feature.

I see this as a major missing feature for security applications. I have a shared storage space in my apartment building, that other tenants will sometimes go into. If they're moving around the whole time while they're in the frame of my camera I may not be able to catch someone in the act of stealing something unless I program it to take a lot of pictures, which would then mean I would possibly end up with a lot of pictures of nothing too.

I would love to see a feature to continuously capture images while the motion is higher than the threshold.

Best Regards,
livingcolour

+10 feature!

Post by livingcolour »

indeed sirwatson,

For security reason is (motion detection) yawcam not (yet) suitable. I wondering what the motion detection now is used for.... I hope that Magnus will program this feature. e.g. checkbox: "reset motion detection after action". So you can take action at motion detection and after that, it start all over again. (no pictures when there is no detection)

Marcel
Trux

Idd! This feature is a must!

Post by Trux »

I totally agree. I just installed YawCam, expecting to have this feature.
I would love this YAWCAM even more, had it had this feature.

By the way (this next bit is rather off-topic)... Is the creator of "Yet Another Webcam Software" the same as the creator of the old Amiga e-mail client YAM - "Yet Another Mailer", or something?
Skoorb

Post by Skoorb »

Agree * 1000!!

I've now tried several lite webcam packages and disliked all for various reasons. Yawcam is really nice--interface is quite usable, and it's intuitive. Also doesn't hobble features on the free version. It does exactly what I need EXCEPT for this inability to continually stream during a motion event. That is the major missing feature at this point to me. There are surely other ways to enhance anything but it's really important this software get that feature.

Instead of the "save number of images with interval of", there can be another option which simply says "save images indefinitely with interval of".

Again, thanks to the author for this software! I'll keep using it, but the best thing I can think of at this time to get around this issue would be using its motion-event exe feature to perhaps fire off another program or process that captures images. I've not looked for a decent one, though (maybe there isn't a simple one available in any case).
kbezold

Post by kbezold »

This is a great idea and would make this software very useful.
spaceman

Post by spaceman »

That's a massive +1 from me.

Yawcam gets 5/10 from me without this feature, 10/10 with it.

What do you need in terms of donations to make this feature happen sooner rather than later!?

Without this feature, I can't rely on Yawcam to deliver the security information I'm after.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I've made some changes to the motion detection behavior. So far I've only implemented it for the MD's file action though.

It will now continue to save images as long as there is motion in front of the camera. You have an option to limit the number of images if you want.

Please try this beta version:
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/yawcam_BETA_2012-09-08.exe

and let me know what you think before I add this behavior to all the other action types.

/malun
b3l

Post by b3l »

I'm using the new feature now... and loving it! Thank you so much this makes a huge difference. I'm actually catching what I need to see now. My landlord is going to be toast.
ShinyToyDragon

Post by ShinyToyDragon »

I'll have to try this. My problem is the same vein. When it gets dark, the motion noise goes up, therefore stopping the motion detection feature. I'll let ya know how it pans out. Got a good HDD so not worried about space after the sun goes down. Thanks!
keymapper

Post by keymapper »

Sorry for the cross post. want to also post here in case readers here missed my post here: http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2794

Hi, I just installed this beta and tested it. It does continue to record, which is great! Thanks for making the improvement.

A couple of things I found during my testing. First, it records anywhere for 20 to 27 frames per second. That in itself isn't a big issue. The problem is that most of the frames within the second is exactly the same.

A second issue, possibly similar to the current non-beta version, is that during the sequence of motion, the subject (me) moved into frame over a couple of seconds, stayed mostly steady in the frame for a few seconds in the middle of the sequence, and then I continued my movement. During the time I was steady in frame, recording stopped, even though I was still in frame.

It seems like the app determines motion by comparing the current frame with the last frame. Is it possible to compare with a baseline frame, or the frame right before motion is detected, and if there a difference, recording should continue until there is no more motion detected between the current frame and the previous frame or the baseline frame.

Thanks.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

The modified motion detection behavior is now implemented for File, Ftp and Email actions in the latest version of Yawcam 0.3.9.

keymapper> What does your camera settings look like?
Is it possible that your webcam delivers lets say 5 fps and Yawcam is polling it for 25 fps?
In a situation like that you might end up with identical images.

The motion detection operate on the last frame in the motion detection interval. There is no option to compare with a baseline image.
There are however plans for that in future versions.

/malun
Eiovas

Post by Eiovas »

malun wrote:The modified motion detection behavior is now implemented for File, Ftp and Email actions in the latest version of Yawcam 0.3.9.
/malun
Hey Malun,

Love the software! In combination with my Android app "IP Webcam" I've got an extremely versatile, no-setup, portable security camera.

I use your software to alert me of activity happening in a monitored location with the "Play Sound" action. I'd love to see the ability to have the sound repeatedly trigger during entire events instead of only trigger at the beginning of each event - that way I could rely on sound alone and not need a preview window open at my terminal to visually verify when I hear an alert sound.
jonno271

Post by jonno271 »

Hi guys,

I am experiencing the exact same problem, even with the latest version. It seems Yawcam only takes a picture when motion STOPS (Invert motion detection is not ticked)....

So long as I'm in the frame moving, it does nothing, it then takes a photo when I stop moving and the detection bar drops below the tolerance level...

I too wish to record a series of photos whilst there is motion and have tried all the settings suggested here but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Jon