Max 65k files in a directory

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
MuF123

Max 65k files in a directory

Post by MuF123 »

TL;DR:Is there an option to make another directory when previous gets filled (FAT32) with motion detected images?

Hello there!

I have a system with fat32 I would like to keep running for months before any user's intervention. It would act as simple security camera, because I as I live in a bad neighborhood I got few things stolen from the garden and I would like to see what's going on.

However this system would run for several weeks/months and there would be many many false positives = many files and I would check the computer just after an incident, but the directory could already be overfilled days ago as the directory, as the FAT32 can hold just 65535 files in one directory, so I wouldn't see the new pictures.

Is there any setting/solution or even workaround for this?

Thanks! :)
memoric

Post by memoric »

Why don't you save each day's images in a different directory?
In the "Motion Detection" window, at the "Actions" tab press the button "Settings..." next to
the option "Save file". Instead of (for example):

Code: Select all

C:\Yawcam\Motion\{dateD}{dateM}{dateY}_{tstampH}{tstampM}{tstampS}.jpg
you can use something like that:

C:\Yawcam\Motion\{dateY}\{dateM}\{dateD}\{tstampH}\Motion_{dateD}{dateM}{dateY}_{tstampH}{tstampM}{tstampS}.jpg
So you'll have a folder named "2011" with another folder inside named "12" (the month),
with another folder inside named "22" (the date), with another folder inside named "23"
(the hour) & finally all the images from 11:00pm to 11:59pm inside. Of course there will be
new folders for the next hours/days/months/even years!
You can adjust that setting to meet your needs, I just quoted mine here.
MuF123

Post by MuF123 »

memoric wrote:

C:\Yawcam\Motion\{dateY}\{dateM}\{dateD}\{tstampH}\Motion_{dateD}{dateM}{dateY}_{tstampH}{tstampM}{tstampS}.jpg
I didn't know it could be done this way. This is really elegant way and yes, I will do it this way :)

Really thanks for the tip!
memoric

Post by memoric »

You are welcome. You can do the same for the "File capture" feature you know.
(Btw, you may want to remove your email from your homepage, or the spam-bots
will get you! :))