Image becomes stale after a few hours

Report and discuss bugs here!
Weather42

Image becomes stale after a few hours

Post by Weather42 »

I'm running Yamcam 0.3.7 on Windows 7 64-bit, using a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 internal video/TV card.
I'm using Yawcam for FTP and local file save on a 10 min file / 20 min FTP interval, to run a weather webcam. Camera is a NTSC low-light camera.

Some number of hours after Yawcam starts, it stops capturing new images and instead keeps saving/FTP the last image it captured (a "stale image"). If I have the preview window open, the image is old and static (no clouds moving, for example). If the preview window is not open and I open it, the preview is BLACK.
If I close and reopen Yawcam, it goes "live" again and starts working normally for some number of hours.
I have yet to determine what that number of good hours is.

The second related problem is that when it stops capturing a new image and goes to saving/FTPing the old image, it still puts a current date/time text overlay on it. For example, during the day my website might have a webcam picture of stars from the middle of the night (last good image), but because it just uploaded it, it will have a date/time overlay of 3pm in the afternoon!

Any suggestions?
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I've seen this happen if the computer goes to sleep or has some power saving mode. Either way, you can always create a scheduled task to restart yawcam every so often, I use a daily schedule.
Weather42

Post by Weather42 »

My computer is not set to sleep or take any other power saving actions.
I just checked and it had gone "black" again, after some time less than 6 hours. I was able to get it back by choosing my video input source again (same source, just went to settings | device | change to and selected the same one again)

Maybe I'll try a reinstall of the Hauppauge drivers.
Country_Bubba

Post by Country_Bubba »

I also have had this problem and asked some time ago how to fix it.

See my previous thread and hop this helps.

http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
BobW

Post by BobW »

I'm having the same issue as Weather42 !

After several years and always the latest Yawcam versions on the same machine, I have just started having this issue (stale image on Preview, on FTP, and saving To File, yet the timestamp/date is changing normally). This is on a Window 7 , 64 bit computer. It is not a power management or hibernate/sleep issue,(all disabled) and the machine has 3GB Ram. Yawcam is the only program running besides normal background traffic, and I am not running it as a service. There is no indication in the console of any kind.
I'm not blaming Yawcam as the culprit. but something is not playing well with it. It's odd that this has started in the last few weeks after such a long time of running with no issues.

Meanwhile, I need a way to kill the yawcam that is currently running but but hung up, and restart it - probably on an hourly basis until I find a permanent fix.

The solution already posted don't seem to fit... Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Woody

Post by Woody »

I to am having this problem with the Image showing one that is an older one.
I uploaded a new picture using the same file name "out.jpg" and it showed up okay then on the update time to upload the yawcam image "out.jpg" the same old image showed up, but the date and time is okay just the image is
one that is old. I am using a windows xp 1g ram.
I am using the 30 second update time.
The computer is set to never go to sleep and never auto update any programs. I also am running a weather prog.
and it has never given me any problems.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks Woody
j2d

Me too

Post by j2d »

I'm having the same issue. My images always have the correct time in the overlay, but the picture is obviously stale - as in, I'm visible in the images even though I've left the house and am nowhere near the camera.

I believe this problem was introduced in a somewhat recent version (maybe within the last 6-12 months). I say this because my OS, webcam hardware, webcam drivers, and java version have not changed. Only my version of yawcam has changed.

On a related note, does anywhere know where I can get older versions of yawcam? Unfortunately, I haven't been archiving older versions.

Cheers!
Benjaminarthurt

Post by Benjaminarthurt »

Same issue here. Using this for motion detection on the camera. Also have Stream and HTTP enabled. Image stalls for all, saved motion files, and Live Stream and HTTP page. DateStamp overlay continues to advance. (program not frozen, just feed) I've checked directly to IP cam during a stale image on yawcam and the camera is still feeding an image normally.

Windows Server 2003
Memory and CPU usage is normal
Yawcam running as service
Running Current version 0.3.8
connected to Trendnet IP Cam "TV-IP110WN" over LAN
Temp fix: Scheduled Task restarting Yawcam service every 6 hours
kovacspeter

Post by kovacspeter »

The same for me. I found a manual workaround, which would be useful to be somehow automated ( I would not like to restart the whole app regularly)

When the cam's picture is not live any more, press:

Settings ->
Device (My device) ->
Change to ->
My device

And now the webcam's picture is alive again (at least for me). Unfortunately it freezes in every 2-3 hours.
It would be good as a temporary debug function into the Yawcam, so it would call this procedure regularly, so I would not have to restart it again.

This is the only flaw in the application for me. Otherwise it is great!
DylanGarsidezz

Post by DylanGarsidezz »

I've experienced this as well. Any fixes to this?
mk

Post by mk »

Anyone tried the 2012-9-8 beta? Does it fix this?
http://www.yawcam.com/beta/yawcam_BETA_2012-09-08.exe